The Beetle at Bay

The next morning at breakfast, the trio fill me in on what happened during Harry's private lesson with Snape.

Occlumency, the counter-practice to Legilimency. The skill allowing you to search someone's mind.

And how the corridor he's been dreaming about for months is the Department of Mysteries, inside the Ministry.

"My Dad used to talk about that a lot when we were younger. Before Rebecca... well, yeah. I don't remember it much, but it was something he'd always say was the worst place in the Ministry. Hated the people who worked there."

"They're called Unspeakables." Ron adds.

The twins are advertising their Headless Hats at the end of the table.

"Y'know, they're the bane of my being a Prefect, but I have to admit, they're smart. It's extremely complex magic." Hermione mutters.

"Oh yeah, everyone assumes they're stupid, but they aren't. School just doesn't interest them. They're genius with some of the things they do."

Hermione's Daily Prophet subscription arrives at that moment. She smooths the paper out, suddenly yelping as she reads the headline.

"What?" I instantly look over to her as Harry and Ron ask.

MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN
MINISTRY FEARS BLACK IS 'RALLYING POINT FOR OLD DEATH EATERS

Harry is concerned about what they're pushing against Sirius, and of course I am to, but my main fear is what I'm currently scanning the ten moving photographs for.

Antonin Dolohov, who brutally murdered Mrs Weasley's brothers.

Augustus Rookwood, leaking Ministry information to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

But there's no use reading the rest, because among the nine wizards I spot the lone witch almost instantly.

Bellatrix Lestrange, convicted of the torture and permanent incapacitation of Frank and Alice Longbottom, and Rebecca Fern.

My stomach flips, and I feel physically ill.

She's free. What if she comes back to finish the job? What if she comes for Austin? How did this happen?

And even more bad news. Broderick Bode, the man we saw receive a pot plant in the ward at Christmas. Well the pot plant was Devil's Snare, and Bode, who it turns out was an Unspeakable from the Ministry, is now very much deceased.

Yet, it doesn't stop, the heap of bad news continues. Hermione rushes off to send a letter, and just as Ron mumbles "I hate it when she does that. Would it kill her to tell us what she's up to for once? It'd take her about ten more seconds.", Hagrid approaches us as we exit the hall. He's on probation, just like Trelawney.

The main issue flying around Hogwarts however, is the escape. Draco, with his usual pack of Slytherins, seems confident as ever, though he hasn't been running around insulting everyone.

I don't even think I've heard him say mudblood yet.

Meanwhile, Susan was just as disconcerted by the escape as Neville and I - her aunt, uncle and cousins had all perished at the hands of one of the escapees.

Umbridge releases her twenty-sixth decree, stating teachers are strictly banned from giving students any information that is not strictly relevant to their subjects.