Chapter 12

There is a single moment, where happiness is the only feeling you know, that moment may last forever or only a single second. Though it has never been about the amount of time what you do with it.

I watched Nick walk away disappearing into the airport, it was as if I watched a part of me walk away. I knew he would always be one call away, but I would never pick up the phone.

I stuffed my hands in my trench coat and walked away silently, back then moving was possibly the best thing I could do, now it was the only thing keeping me away from Nick.

I looked down as I walked, not knowing whether I'd be able to hold the tears if I looked back. Maybe this was the last time I'd kiss Nick, the last time I'd ever get to be his Juliet. It would no longer be us.

This love story was coming to an end, one I didn't want but there was nothing left to do. I wanted to run and tell him what was painfully obvious but how could I? In all my years of life, I'd never been the rebellious version.

I left that for those who wanted that for themselves, I was shy my entire life. I hated the idea of making a scene but what could I possibly have done in a situation like this.

Walking out of the airport apart of me broke, in pieces uncollectible beyond repair. It was just the sudden disappointment that hit me.

It was over, I had to believe it. I needed to believe and accept what was in front of me. I did it 3 years ago, why couldn't I do it now

***

"You didn't tell me you knew Nicholas King," Carlisle said as he raised an eyebrow, what was I suppose to say? He was my ex-husband, oh sorry, correction the ex-husband I was still in love with.

"You didn't ask" I replied, he stared at me blankly like I was speaking absolute nonsense.

"He's got the biggest brand and company in all of New York and-"

"I know, I just didn't feel the need, it seemed- unnecessary," I said, Carlisle, pursed his lips as he took out his notebook.

"He's golden for advertisement, he could give us tips? Help us out Juliet, you've got this huge resource you aren't using" Carlisle attempted to convince. 

"He's off the table Carlisle, he isn't some resource we can use to our advantage. I'm sure he's too busy to offer any help anyways" I said slightly agitated, 

"Is there something between you two?" Carlisle asked, it was evident there was, 

"A long time ago" I whispered as I opened my notebook and flipped through my notes. I didn't want to talk about it, I could tell Carlisle realized that as well.

He began flipping through his notes as well as we sat in silence.  I felt bad, keeping it all a secret but it was too early, to spill my past to someone who I'd known hardly a few days. Sure we were friends, but I didn't know much about him either.

"What about you? Got any past secrets I should know about" I asked trying to lighten up the mood, he chuckled as he looked up at me with a sad smile.

"I have a very ordinary life, believe it or not" he replied, I scoffed, 

"Oh sure, you've gotta have something. I mean how ordinary is ordinary" I said with a playful smile.

"I use to play baseball as a kid, sucked at it but that never stopped me, maybe it was my dad's dream that'd I'd become the next Babe Ruth or something that kept me going" Carlisle laughed, I laughed along finding it oddly funny. 

I couldn't relate, knowing my father had dreams I'd probably never live up to but I like to believe he's still proud, of whatever I do with my life.

"How'd you get into business?" I asked, he let out a deep sigh.

"It was my mom's dream, knowing I could never live up to my dad's I decided to try for my mom's, I ended up quite liking business. It gives you a kind of flare, y'know?" 

"It does, doesn't it" I concurred.

"What about your dreams, I mean before you got into business there must've been something you wanted before this?" I asked suddenly curious about his life. 

"Definitely a doctor, dentist specifically. I don't think it was a dream though, more like a goal. I just wanted to have a purpose in life." He answered it was ironic how much I could relate.

It was a dream to own a business for me, but even more a goal, a purpose. I wanted something for myself, I wanted a meaning for my life.

My phone began buzzing, Nick's I.D popped up. I looked at Carlisle, his smile soon faded. I quickly excused myself answering the call.

"What's up?" I asked,

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay," He said, 

"Why?" I asked, confused surely this couldn't be about yesterday.

"You know..." 

"Look Nick, I'm not gonna fall apart when you're not around, I was fine for 3 years if this is about that you really do have your head way too far up your ass" I didn't mean to sound rude, or angry because this very well could've just been an innocent call.

"I know, but there's just so much tension" 

"I know... but you're getting married Nick, you can't just expect me to be like this"

"Just say the word Juliet and I won't"

"You know I can't you know I won't it isn't that easy, it's love between career, and I'm choosing for you," I said quietly ending the phone call.

It hurt, like hell. But it was the way it was, I couldn't change the way things were not for myself, and not for Nick.

I walked back to Carlisle as he scribbled tiny drawings in his notebook.

He looked up at me as I returned, sitting down.

"Everything okay?" He asked,

"Just fine" I answered. 

*****

Please don't forget to vote and comment!!