Chapter 16

I stared at him, my eyes wandering around his place, last time I was here I felt like I was at home, not it just feels like a house with no home. 

He gave me a glass of wine as he sat down in front of me. 

"My father didn't grow up on money" He began, it wasn't that I didn't know that it just seemed odd, to think Nick's family wasn't always rich.

"He did bad things to make ends meet, he started an empire underground to get money, while the money wasn't clean it still worked out" He continued as he sipped his wine.

"He made a lot more than intended, it became suspicious, so he started a business to make sure his income would match up with the unclean money," Nick's voice changed, as if he was explaining a sad story.

"The business became a hit, he began to make more money off the business than his underground one. But there is a certain rule about the kinds of things he did, his business was made of off unclean money, his life was built off the illegal business, so once you're in you can't get out" Nick explained as he watched me like a hawk.

"So what did you do?" I asked, he tilted his head swishing his wine.

"Nothing, I took over the underground one at a young age, then I took over the business we have today" He replied,

"So what, you're like an underground criminal or something?" I asked,

"I do what I have to do."

"That's not an answer"

"I don't owe you anything Juliet"

"You brought me into this mess" 

"You brought yourself into this mess when you met Carlisle" 

"Did you know who he was when you saw him at my apartment?" I asked, 

"Of course I did, but he knew who I was too"

"Yes but Nick, the whole of New York knows you, it could just be a coincidence it's not like you're exclusive"

"Ouch"

"I'm sure you've heard worse"

"What does Carlisle have to do with this?" I questioned Nick as he laid back in his chair.

"Carlisle runs a business underground as well, with Carlos. Though he never took part in the stealing of 20 grand he had something to do with finding out where it was," Nick explained, I listened carefully trying to piece together what he was saying.

"How many of you are there" 

"I have thousands all over the world, Carlos has a few hundred, theirs no way to eliminate the mole. Carlisle has to die, to give the message"

"You're going to kill him?" 

He stayed silent, I couldn't even fathom what was happening, Nick had gone mad, a murderer gang leader it just didn't add up.

"Does Vivian know about your little... business?"

"No."

"Who knows?"

"My family, and now you"

"Oh"

"It'll remain that way," He said in a more demanding voice. I would never tell anyone, mainly because I wouldn't want them involved in this anyways but it was the least I could do to protect them from whoever Nick said he was.

"How about your fiance? Shouldn't she know?" I asked, he glared at me leaning forward his jaw clenched as he watched me.

"I dare you Juliet call her my fucking fiance one more time and you will have a lot more on your plate than this" He threatened, I looked at him, almost intimidated.