Chapter 29

"The shops been doing really good dad, and Cassie is finally married! I mentioned Cassie to you, right? And Alora - my other friend she's pregnant! Can you believe that? It's been such an eventful few years!" I explained to my father who cracked a smile at my enthusiasm.

I knew he was hurting, weak, and exhausted from the medications and treatments but what he truly wanted was for everyone to overlook that and treat him like he was just another healthy man. I couldn't stop talking once I started, afraid I'd miss out to tell him how the last few years went that we didn't speak.

And my mind faltered to other things, like if this was the last time I'd talk to him, but that was something I chose not to think about. I had to be positive like Nick said, and I had to be strong for my mother who smiled as best as she could as she watched us converse.

"And Nick, Oh my gosh Nick, it's so great dad, I love him so much and he's just so perfect I'm so happy dad, after so long" I breathed as I leaned in closer to him, as he wrapped his arm around me in his weak state.

"I'm glad Juliet, I'm really happy for you" He managed to say resting his head on mine, Nick had gone out to leave us alone for a while and said he'd pick up dinner on the way back before we headed to a hotel.

My mom wasn't gonna leave his side, no matter what she would not go home until he did, and in a way, it was possibly the sweetest thing I had seen her do for him. I knew he meant more than everything for her. 

We sat there for a while, in comfortable silence. I had never been close to my father, but it was different more than ever, I liked it only wishing I could've fixed this with them earlier. 

---

"I think he's getting better you know, he looks better, but it's only been a couple of days so maybe I'm just looking too far into things" I took a bite of my sandwich as I looked up at Nick who sat in front of me in the small mini sandwich shop near the hospital. 

"baby he is, and besides we're in no rush. However long you need" Nick smiled, I returned the smile putting down my sandwich I stared at him blankly for a moment. 

I wasn't sure what I was thinking, or what was really going through my head at the moment, just that I was looking at the man I used to hate with a passion. 

It was funny how that worked, how oddly feelings could change in time and even in a split second, and nobody would even see it coming. 

"How's Charles? And you parents?" I asked, returning back to reality. 

"Charles has actually met a girl, I personally haven't met her but she seems good for him. My parents are alright, looking after the business here and there" Nick explained, 

"We should visit them, I mean we're already in New York" I smiled, I knew it meant the world to him when we visited his family, he didn't get to see them often, especially after moving to L.A with me. 

"yeah... yeah that would be great" His eyes brightened with what seemed to be excitement and content. I was glad he was this happy, over something so small. 

Nick's phone began to ring, pulling out of his pocket he looked at me, I nodded indicating it was fine for him to take the call.

It was selfish for me to drag him to L. A with me, to keep him from his business, his passion, his family. But at the expense of my happiness.

I knew he wanted this just as much as I wanted this. With sacrifices being made, I had complete faith this was forever. 

And in time, we'd have everything I ever dreamed of. The big wedding, kids, a forever home, and grow old by the beach. All things he'd be more than willing to provide. 

---

Then by the time I knew it, we were standing at Nick's parent's front doorstep, with a bouquet of flowers and some chocolate. 

I was nervous, in all honesty. Did they still think of me the same? But before I could really process anything the door opened with Eleanor standing there, her eyes widened in shock and what seemed to be excitement. 

"Oh my goodness Juliet!" She pulled me in for a hug, I chuckled at her ignorance of Nick. I almost felt like more of their kid than Nick did. 

"You look well Eleanor" I smiled in her embrace. 

"Oh you know me, here and there with Calvin's business" She explained as she hustled me inside. 

"Nick it's a pleasure to see you again as well" Elanor finally said with a sly smile hugging her son. 

"Of course mother" Nick playfully rolled his eyes as we got situated at the couches. 

"Calvin's out at the moment, but he should be back soon" Eleanor informed, 

"So what brings you back to New York?" Eleanor asked eyeing us both. 

I could feel Nick's eyes on me, as my heart dropped at the question. It was hard to accept the reality of the situation, and explaining it was even harder. 

How was I going to keep it together? 

"Leroy's been diagnosed with cancer," Nick said, and I was so thankful, he'd noticed how much I wasn't ready to say it. 

He knew me better than I knew myself. 

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry baby" Eleanor's face dropped as her eyes darted to me with sadness and pity. 

I'd have to start getting used to that look, of sadness and pity. Every time I'd tell anyone the reaction would be the same. 

"It's okay, I think he's getting better" I managed to croak out but even my own words couldn't convince me. 

We sat in silence for a moment, allowing reality to set in. 

"He's a fighter, I don't believe this is going to break him" Eleanor consoled, but deep down within her voice was hesitation and fear. 

I knew she only half believed that, but I couldn't blame her. I really only half believed that too. 

My father was a fighter, a really strong one. But even the greatest fighters lose their battle with cancer, in the end, it's not up to them. 

"If there's anything I can do please Juliet, don't hesitate to let me know" Eleanor assured, I smiled faintly at her. 

Her intentions were too pure for such an evil disease. 

In time it'll get easier, I told myself over and over, patience is key, I just need patience. 

But that was too hard. Too hard for me right now. 

There was one thing that lingered on my mind. 

Marriage, I wanted my father to walk me down the aisle before it was too late. 

-------------

I am so incredibly sorry that this chapter took ages to come out, I have no idea where all these new readers and people are coming from its an overwhelming excitement and I'll try my best to update more often but I have gotten exceptionally more busy over the last few weeks with the start of a new semester! Anyhow, I love you all, Take care!!