Chapter 38

"Jinjin and Bin in the middle of the summer. Eatin' a pineapple all the way!" Changbin shoulder-shimmied his way through the improvised song as he sang in Hyunjin's face.

They were still on the bus, and Changbin was determined to get more out of Hyunjin than a quirked eyebrow or a disturbed expression. It had gone on the entire ride, and Hyunjin wasn't sure what to make of it.

On one hand, he was happy that Changbin was so enthusiastic in the morning. The boy had proven it by spontaneous giggles, random jokes, and an abundance of clinginess along with the aforementioned song. However, on the other hand, Hyunjin couldn't tell if this was normal or if Changbin had finally gone over the edge. He had never seen Changbin rested before.

"Won't it be such a glorious day when we eat pineapple all the way!" Hyunjin rolled his eyes at the childish boy beside him, but the silliness of the lyrics forced a smile on his face.

"Ah ha! You smiled~ And I did that!" Changbin crossed his arms, wiggling in pride. Hyunjin nudged him in the side.

"It's too early for this, Bin. What's wrong with you?" He teased playfully. Changbin gasped.

"Has my grumpiness rubbed off on you? Oh no! That is not allowed!"

"Well Felix has definitely rubbed off on you, that's for sure." Changbin hummed and hugged Hyunjin's arm, finally relaxing his body.

"I wouldn't say that's a bad thing."

"Mm, I guess not." Their heads bumped together in the shuffle to get comfortable in their new position, but soon they were cuddled up on the small bus seat.

The silence that enveloped them drew some conclusions for Hyunjin. With the boy stuffing his face in Hyunjin's shoulder, Hyunjin finally realized why Changbin volunteered to be Felix's buddy. Despite the time commitment, hard nights, and annoying conversations, this right here was what friendships were all about. The contentment that comes with knowing you're the cause of someone else's happiness and safety. It was all worth it.

It had become apparent through the observation of Changbin's other relationships that he had no one else to rely on, and regardless of if his happiness right now was genuine, Hyunjin would take it. For now, Changbin wanted Hyunjin there, and that's all he could ask for.

Hyunjin chuckled, catching Changbin's attention.

"What's so funny?"

"Oh nothing. Just thinking how silly I was to think you'd desert me after Felix left." Changbin shot up and gave Hyunjin an offended look.

"How dare you joke about something like that!"

"Sorry, sorry! I won't mention it again!"

"You better not." Changbin pouted, leaning back against Hyunjin's arm.

Hyunjin gazed out the window, reveling in the bright colors that covered the trees and the ground in the dim sunlight. The blasting heat from the unit under their feet directly contrasted the glass that was cold to the touch, and the mixture of temperatures messed with Hyunjin's nose, making it feel sore. Since Hyunjin was more awake, the droning voices at the back of the bus became clearer, and he could make out a few words here and there. But the most prominent feeling was Changbin's head on his shoulder and the uncomfortable position he had to sit in to keep him there.

Any position on a bus was uncomfortable, but he had decided early on to push his knees into the seat in front of them so he could be in a slouched ball-like shape. It was the best solution at the time, but now his butt hurt and Changbin wasn't moving. His muscles started tensing, but a voice cut his concentration.