Chapter 39

The following morning brought pleasant surprises in the forms of hugs and promises of socialization.

Changbin had boarded the bus bearing the news that Hyunjin would formally meet Minsoo that evening. He said it was a necessity now that Hyunjin was the closest in proximity to his house, and he had no one to watch Minsoo while he was at work. Hyunjin wasn't sure why they couldn't wait a week until he was no longer grounded, but Changbin was adamant.

It took them the majority of the bus ride to think of an excuse to get Hyunjin out of his house. What they ended up with was a compulsory group project that could take multiple days to complete. If he was lucky, he could extend this excuse until Saturday when he got his phone back. He might even convince his mom to let him take Kkami so Jeongwoo wouldn't be disappointed this week. However, he had to be honest about which class Changbin was in, and he wasn't sure he could give a good reason for Kkami to be in their fake world literature project other than moral support.

The school day was spent stressing over the wording of his excuse. Hyunjin found himself gazing at the ceiling during class, thinking about all the different scenarios that could happen that afternoon. And when the time came, none of the expected outcomes occurred. Granted, Changbin had ridden to Hyunjin's stop to confirm the project, but Hyunjin anticipated some pushback from his mother. Instead, what he got was a congenial smile and nod of approval that took barely a second.

And that was how Hyunjin ended up doing his homework at Changbin's dining room table with Minsoo across from him and Changbin in the kitchen cooking a 'surprise' for dinner, the oven and stove combined sending waves of heat Hyunjin's way, adding to the cozy atmosphere.

It wasn't the most conventional way to meet someone. Usually, you planned a hangout, something where the schedule was cleared and the environment was stress-free. But this was Changbin we were talking about. Every hour of the day must be filled with something productive.

He had made the argument that if Hyunjin came over to do a 'project,' he needed to go back home with something done. It was logical, but Hyunjin wished Changbin would loosen up every once in a while. He didn't have to be responsible at all times.

Hyunjin was going to ask why Changbin wasn't doing his own homework, but from Felix's documentation, the boy always got it done after Minsoo was asleep. Hopefully, tonight that meant 9 pm so he didn't have to stay up late.

As they sat, the kitchen began to emit fewer clanging sounds and more delicious smells. Hyunjin couldn't identify the exact smell, but there was definitely meat paired with something sweet.

Hyunjin glanced at Minsoo, who was deeply focused on an article about electricity before leaning back in his chair so he could see Changbin in the kitchen.

The siblings were uncannily similar. Hyunjin had not seen them in the same place before, but it was so obvious now. Minsoo's hair even did the thing! Hyunjin wondered what was in their genes that made their hair so sleek and easy to manage. He also wondered if Minsoo's face would slim down like Changbin's. It was vaguely triangular, but the baby fat was still clinging to her cheeks, making her cute. He wasn't going to mention that to Changbin though. Nor was he going to comment on the small, almond-shaped eyes that adorned both faces or how their smile took up half their face when they got mutually excited.

The only difference was how Changbin spoiled the little version of himself. If it wasn't apparent from the wide array of toys, books, and colorful items around the living room, it definitely made an appearance in her style.

She wasn't the girliest an eight-year-old could be, but the sparkly stars on her gray leggings that matched the few gems on her denim jacket and the silver hair clip in her hair were indicative of how much Changbin treasured his sister. He could survive with his uniform and basic wardrobe, but she should be allowed something special.