The Preparation

AN: Thank you so much for all the love for this story already! At the end of the chapter, there will be a couple of edits to show the outfits described in this chapter. Happy reading!

A resounding knock sounded throughout Katherine's flat causing the brunette to groan. Turning over to check the time, she let out an exasperated sigh. It wasn't anywhere near the time her mother said she would be over. It was nearly two hours earlier and the sun had barely even risen. If this was how things were going to be, she would need to start planning on how to make her parent's life miserable.

With a huff, Katherine threw off her covers and hastily pulled on her robe, hurrying to open the door before another loud knock happened again. The moment she opened the door a woman with a clothing rack walked in, looking apologetic as she headed towards the bedroom.

"Did we wake you?" Elizabeth asked, not looking apologetic at all.

"Yes, mum. You're two hours early." She replied with a roll of her eyes.

"Well, there's just so many things to try on and get right. I'll put on some coffee." She said with a smile and made her way into the kitchen. "Go ahead and start trying things on with Genevieve. While I get this started." She waved her daughter away.

Everything on the rack was white. Katherine snorted at the ridiculousness of it all. Was the value of her virtue still graded on whether she was still a virgin? If so, that ship sailed off long ago and ended in a massive shipwreck. "Is there one that doesn't make me look like a bride?" She asked, undoing her robe, and tossing it on her bed.

"That's exactly what this is for," Genevieve said.

"Great." She muttered as she pushed the tulle monstrosity, she was pretty sure was an actual wedding dress, to the side.

The first dress she came to that wasn't an immediate no was a short lace dress that hit mid-thigh. The sleeves belled out and came down to the middle of her hand. She sent a wicked look towards Genevieve before she went to the bathroom to change since she needed to put on a bra and underwear.

Genevieve laughed. "You know I wouldn't do you dirty like that." She called out through the door.

"You're truly a wonder Genevieve Delacroix!" Katherine replied.

Seeing the dress actually on her, Katherine knew right away that her mother would not let her out of her own flat dressed like that. It would be worth a try, especially since it was included in the dresses to pick from.

As predicted the moment Katherine stepped foot into her kitchen, Elizabeth shook her head. "No, absolutely not. Go try again."

The second dress wasn't better per se except maybe in length. The dress came just past Katherine's knees but had a slit up the left leg that stopped mid-thigh. It hugged her curves and the asymmetrical shoulder cut out created a sweetheart neckline. She actually liked the dress and could see herself wearing it somewhere else but she needed to think business soiree.

"Oh, honestly Katherine. This is supposed to be classy."

"I think this is very classy," Katherine argued but her smirk gave her away.

"Nice try. Gen, please dress my daughter in something classy." She called out.

It was a long while until Katherine finally appeared again. Genevieve looked over everything she had brought, trying to find something that would fit her friend's style and Elizabeth's requirements. After a couple more no's from Katherine, they finally landed on the outfit, she could get behind. It was a jumpsuit, but the pant legs were wide enough and with the two different fabrics, they looked like a skirt when she stood with her legs side by side. A thin pearl collar connected the strips of fabric allowing for a deep v in the front and for the back to remain open. With a once-over in the mirror, Katherine felt like a powerful businesswoman. This was what she was going to wear regardless of what her mother said. "Gen, this is perfect."