Uncle

Ben followed the annoying voice on the GPS. She expected that it would lead to some house, but instead, it led to a Diner.

It had a sign that said Uncle's outside. There were quite a few cars in the parking lot and the building sort of made her think of a church at first. But it has huge glass windows and she could see booths on the inside.

She chewed her lower lip. She thought of just driving away. But she could not turn the key in the ignition.

The dog next to her huffed. And Ben rolled her eyes at her four-pawed partner. "I know alright. Just give me a moment."

Blowing out her breath, she pat the dog's head. "I will bring you a burger." She promised as she lowered the car windows for air before getting out.

The air inside the diner was filled with the aroma of coffee. It soothed her stretched tight emotions. Where people chain smoked; she chain drank coffee. Hell a lot of time that was all Luke and herself ran on only.

A boy came and asked if she would like to order after he showed her to a booth. She shook her head and asked to see Mr. Taylor instead. He told her he would call him for her.

Garreth Taylor was a huge man. She recognized the brown eyes. He had dark almost black hair and there was a splash of pepper grey in it.

She remember seeing a photo of North and teasing Luke that he and his brother didn't look the same at all. But looking at their  uncle she could see North. Luke truly has more of his mother than his dad.

"Good evening young lady how can I help you." He had a smile that made her think of Luke. His eyes smiled with and she relaxed more.

She held out the letter Luke wrote to him. He took it, tore open the envelope and read it. He stopped smiling and looked at her. "He is ok?" He asked. She was going to say yes but reconsidered. T

Luke was home now. Was he ok? Was she ok? No. They were not but they were at a better place than when they met. So she revised her answer.

"He is better now that he can return home. Things were hairy for a bit but we got through it. All he wished for since the day we met was to return to his family." His uncle frowned.

"There are things we cannot discuss with you all. Not because we want to keep things from you. But for us to be allowed to return....." Ben stopped talking when her stomach growled.

"When last did you eat kid?" The man asked and Ben found that she could not remember. "Yesterday?" Her answer came out more like a question.

"Order something." He pushed the menu towards her. "Can I get a few burgers for my dog?" She asked as she pointed to the  half chicken meal.

"Its in your car?" He gestured towards the waiter. She nodded her head. "Would that be a problem if I'm staying with you. If it is I can try and find somewhere else to stay..."

He shook his head. "Its ok. And no, your not going anywhere else. Fetch your dog. We will let it stay in my office till we leave for home." All Ben could do was nod her head and go to her car.

They were a few feet from the door when her phone rang. Called id flashed a name that made her insides freeze. Mason. She didn't respond, just waited till the phone stopped ringing. Then she entered the Diner again.

Food and Uncle were waiting for them. Del gave him a mere sniff and let herself be left in the office with water and some food without complaint.

Ben only realized how hungry she was when food was in front of her. She and Uncle spoke while she was eating. It was save small talk mostly. Finishing the last bit of food off her plate she looked up at the clock.

She pulled out her phone and asked to be excused. Luke's number was on speed dial. Her shoulders relaxed when he answered after one ring.

Feeling reassured after the call she returned to the warmth of the interior of the Diner. She parked herself in a booth corner out of the way as Uncle returned to his customers. Every now and then she could feel eyes on her and she kept her body language as relaxed as she possibly could. Uncle was checking on her.

She ordered a pot of coffee. There were still a few hours to go and the instincts she ran on for year's could not be switched off. This was still not a safe place to give into her need for sleep. Hence the coffee.

A few of the people coming in gave her curious glances. She flashed a small smile at these glances and then dropped her head down to stare into her mug.

A group of five men entered. They stood out to her cause one of them had eyes like her. He was with a set of blond twins, a tall Native American and a huge tattooed man. They met up with an equally big African American man and a petite woman.

So far no magical people have entered. They were all very human.  She could not lower her guard though. Just because they didn't have magic, didn't make them less of a threat. She told herself to get a grip. She was tired. Perhaps a nights sleep would cure the half panicky feeling that bubbled under her skin.

Uncle joined her again. This time he brought a plate with a massive piece of dark chocolate cake. He sat down. "You were military." She tensed up. Then shrugged. If this man was going to be part of her life he would find out a lot of things.

"Yeah. But not anymore. Luke said this is a good time to start over." "You kept our Luke save." It was more a statement of fact than a question. Her answer were honest. "We kept each other save."

Uncle sighed. "People forget that Luke isn't helpless. Or his brothers seemed to forget. He downplay his skill. Their old school wasn't all that normal. They learned skills most schools don't offer."

Ben was surprised that he spoke so openly about The Academy. It wasn't normally done. She tilted her head. "Are they not like a secret?"

He laughed, a deep sound that instinctively brought a smile to her face. "I don't think there were many secrets between you two. And unlike everyone else I have always been aware of my nephew's skills. He would not have sent you here unless he explicitly trust you. Enjoy your cake." With that he returned to his work.

Two hours later she was following him home. The double storey house they stopped in front off, looked old but well kept.

Uncle unlocked the front door. And they entered. "I will give you a tour of the house tomorrow, right now you look about ready to fall over.You can sleep in Luke's old room." He led her down the hallway and after saying good night. They parted ways.

Been closed the door behind her. The room was big and had huge bay windows. A double bed was pushed against one wall.

Ben allowed herself to kick off her boots and fell down face first on the bed. She was gone in seconds.

Delilah pressed herself against her mistress. On guard as she slept.