Nightmare night

Luke would rather have been anywhere else than this dinner table.  Owen and Sean were not present. Sean working night shift, and Owen phoned saying a emergency would keep him at the office. It was a bit of a reprieve.

Being under North's intense scowl made his skin crawl. His brother intimidation didn't phase him, neither did his brooding silence. He was more irritated by it than intimidated.

He was tired. It has been a long few days and his body was warning him that it was close to the point where it would collapse on him. He really didn't have patience to deal with North shit. Not today.

Max and Legend did the butt sniffing ritual and after that ignored each other. Kota was correct. The Lab has aged and it didn't escape him how careful and gentle his own hound was around the older dog.

The question came at the end of the meal. Luke was surprised that his brother could keep it in so long. Tucking at his ponytail and frowning at him, Luke contemplated how to answer.

"I will wait till all of my brothers are together before I give you what you want fully. Short story: I was in witness protection. That's all I'm willing to say now." He turned to Sang. "Thank you for the food. Can I use your spare room to sleep? I am exhausted." He admitted to her. Legend came and leaned against him.

"Your room hasn't been changed so you do not need to use the spare room." She didn'tell him that there was a debate of changing his room into an office. Luke sighed. "I would like to spend more time with you all but my body is going to shut down on me soon." He went over and kissed his only true love, nodded his head at his brothers. He plucked the old backpack off the ground next to the door and headed down the hallway to the room he called his once. Legend on his heals.

Pain shot through his leg and he stopped pretending, limping to his room. It was like stepping into a time capsule. His room was like he left it. Minus the clothes in the clothes hamper in the corner.

Luke wasn't unintelligent, in fact he was as clever as Victor and Kota but never bothered showing it completely. His skill would most likely never rival his brother's computer skills but he learned a hell of a lot from a hacker friend he made.

Luke downplayed a lot of his skills. He wasn't really as bad at martial arts as everyone thought. In fact he picked up krav maga and kick boxing, and parkour while he was gone. His aim with weapons have improved. The Academy taught them all basic hand to hand and how to use weapons and a few other skills.

In the past he was unsure of himself and let everyone believe his skills was mediocre at best. He let his brothers shine cause he didn't want to hog what was theirs. He was happy being the one that made others laugh. His obsession with Houdini let him become great at lock picking. And he was heading into trouble with his pick pocketing before Sean recruited them. He let others believe his only value was as a thief and pick pocket. All that changed in that cell.

A shirt stuffed over the camera he knew paranoid North put in the room sorted out the problem of having his secrets slip out. He knew Sang would see his scars hidden under his clothes but he didn't want it advertised to others. He was a bit apprehensive about her reaction to the scars the torture and fighting left him with.

The wound on his leg as well as the one in his side was bleeding and he redressed it. He remember Ben swearing when she dug the bullets out and stitched him up. He pulled the old flannel pajamas pants on and slipped a thin t short over his head. Experience taught him being completely naked when you fleeing gets you all the wrong attention.

He fell onto his bed. In pain and tired. The knife under his pillow was instinctive and without thought. He never let himself be without a weapon, even if the place he was could be deemed safe. Being safe was just an illusion.