XII

(Name) munched on a carrot from two halls across off where Tdoroki and Midoriya were talking. Her hearing was superb, so she could make out their conversation easily even if they were not in the same room. Best eavesdropping weapon ever. 

Not that she wanted to eavesdrop. (Name) just wanted to check and make sure that Todoroki wouldn't attack Midoriya or anything outside their matches. He did have this dark, almost sinister look on his face. He was as angry and Bakugou. Except he was more silent. Silent angry, but still angry.

'Midoriya,' Todoroki started. (Name)'s ears twitched and she bit the carrot more. 'Are you... All Might's secret love child or something?'

Pfft. The carrot in her mouth left and (Name) began choking on air, torn between coughing and laughing. She ended up wheezing on the floor. Luckily no one was around. 

'W-What? N-No! I-It's nothing like that!' stammered Midoriya. (Name) thought that if he was to truly have a secret, then he wouldn't be able to keep it for long. This boy could not lie for the life of him. This conversation was slowly bringing her back to her past theories on Midoriya. About his odd quirk and supposed 'quirklessness'. 

'Interesting how you said 'it's not like that'. That means you do have something to hide, don't you?' Todoroki pressed. Midoriya gulped nervously, his hands beginning to smell like sweat. 

'I won't pry into your private life, but know this,' he paused. For dramatic effect? Nah, just so Todoroki could direct all his hatred for his father into his eyes to let Midoriya know he was dead serious. 'I was raised with the purpose to defeat All Might. If you are somehow connected to him, then there is all the more reason to beat you.'

(Name) paused her munching. Raised to beat All Might? From her inference, there should be a lot more people than just Todoroki who were raised to challenge the number one hero. From villains, for victory, to heroes, for fame and power.

Todoroki continued, 'Have you ever heard of Quirk Marriages?'

Oh no. I have an inkling of where this is going and I don't like it.

'They were from the first to the second generation of quirk users. People who marry for the sole purpose of bearing a child who would be a mix of their quirks, breeding for more powerful children.'

This story was awfully similar to the one of that friend she used to know in kindergarten. What was his name? Oh, right. Kaneki. White hair, red eyes, ghoul. His villain parents wanted him to be raised to be the next villain king, but he ran away and was now a vigilante. (Name) was (still is) his most trusted friend.

'My scumbag father strived to be the strongest his whole life, but the harder he worked, the greater the distance there seemed to be between him and his rival. So he went to the last resort. With his money and wealth, he easily bought himself into my mother's family... all to get his hands on her quirk.'

Like an old-fashioned arranged marriage, only worse. 

'My mother... hated my fireside. She said it reminded her of her husband too much and poured boiling water on it,' Todoroki traced his scar by habit. 'I still remember the look on her face when she did it.'

'I... don't know what to say,' mumbled Midoriya, in clear shock at the reveal behind his classmate's past.

'That's why I will defeat you, using just my mother's quirk. I will reject Endeavor's power in battle, no matter what,' finished Todoroki, the malice returning to his eyes. Even without super senses, any normal person could pick his hatred out in his voice. 

(Name) decided that she had heard enough. Also, her carrot was finished and she needed another one. She left the scene, quietly making her way down the halls to the cafeteria. On her way, a burning scent invaded her nose. No, not something actually burning. It was more like the smell of pure fire.