Chapter 5

Fury has called Katerina and Natasha into the meeting room where him, Wanda and Steve were talking to discuss her situation.

The elevator ride up was tense. Like both Natasha or Katerina knew that if they talked, it would instantly be the wrong thing. Natasha opened the door to the meeting room to see Steve, Wanda and fury sitting at a large glass table. They turned to meet the two.

"Katerina, care to tell me a bit about yourself, maybe, how you ended up in New York." The one eyed man surprised the brunette with  how bluntly he asked such a personal question. Of course for him it isn't personal as he is just making sure she is not a threat. Katerina brushed it off and answered the question slightly hesitantly.

"Um- what do you want to know?"

"I want to know how you managed to escape the Red Room and make it here without getting caught by them or hydra." His monotone voice along with the words that came with it caught the brunette by surprised sending a shiver down her spine.

The enhanced assassin's face dropped as she turned to look at Nat who had the same expression.

"How did you-?" Her voice became shaky as she struggled top believe that he knew. "How did you know about me?"

"Well you are not exactly discrete in hiding your targets after missions." Fury joked humourlessly.

The assassin knew exactly what he meant. She had a signature for her kills. Using a knife, she Carves 'RR' on the wrist and 'KM' on the neck. It gave her a feeling of victory as her missions were completed by her and only her. Part of her felt sick to the stomach at how much pride she took for a kill.

Steve turned to look at her with wide eyes. "Your Red Room, like Nat?" the brunette nodded slowly.

Katerina looked over at Nat knowing that she could trust them with her past if Natasha did.
The assassin took a deep shaky breath to prepare herself before talking.

" My mother was a Red Room spy, the day before her graduation, she escaped. My dad, he was a hydra agent that tried to quit, they both met on the run and eventually fell in love and had me. On my 5th birthday, we were attacked in an alley by 4 men who I assume must have been Hydra. It appeared that The Red Room were working with Hydra, it was clear that the attack was planned as they were after me. They shot them. Right in front of me. To this day I-I can still see the look on my mothers face when she knew she couldn't save me or herself."
Katerina struggled to let go of the words as a lump formed in her throat. Tears rimmed her lower lash line, threatening to spill onto her face.
"I was taken to the Red Room where they trained and tortured me. The older I got, the more torture than I got. I got more torture than everyone else due to my high pain tolerance. That's when they must have recommended me to the Hunan experiments. They knew I had more of a chance of surviving. I killed without hesitation. How the hell a mere teenager was able to be lethal I had no clue but now I know that it is the serum. Madame B made me kill my best friend to prove a point. I got mad and ended up triggering my powers, I found the opportunity to run, so that's what I did." The word felt like acid on her tongue as the assassin tried to keep herself together.

Looking up, Katerina gazed at everyone in the room; Natasha's brows were creased and her eyes were watery, Steve looked at the floor with his arms crossed over his chest, Wanda appeared to be on the brink of tears, and Fury, he looked almost sympathetic. Katerina figured that it wasn't a very common occurrence for him to look like that.

"we will help you, Wanda will teach you learn and control your powers, we know you can take care of yourself but I think it is best you lay low for now as both hydra and the Red Room are on high alert." Fury's voice stayed normal as he spoke. Everyone stood up, turning to leave the room.