Future

10 year time jump

"Zola, Bailey, Ellis, let's go! We're gonna be late!" Meredith yelled as she frantically got her shoes on. She was nervous. A while ago when she did a rare advanced abdominal procedure on a patient, she was nominated for a Harper Avery.

"Hey." Derek said softly as he approached her. He put his hands on his forearms and looked her in the eye. "Calm down. You are going to win." He said, calming Merediths nerves. "I love you." She whispered. "I love you too. Now let's get the kids and get going." He said with a dreamy smile.

They rallied the kids all into the car and drove off. They had taken a plane to LA a few days earlier. "Mama, why we going here?" Ellis asked. "Mommy was nominated for an award. And she's going to win." Derek replied for her. "Mama win?" Zola asked.

Bailey was now 10 years old, and looked exactly like Meredith with his blonde locks. They had adopted Zola 3 years later. She was the sweetest little girl, and even though they weren't biologically hers, Zola was so much like Meredith and Derek in ways that they couldn't even explain. And then Ellis. She was their miracle baby. Ellis was 3 now. Meredith had her via emergency c section again, but it was  all worth it.

As they pulled up to the building, they got out of the car. Ellis was in Merediths arms, Zola and Bailey both holding dereks hand. They walked in and gasped at the huge area. "Do you need help finding your seat?" A young man dressed in a suit asked. Meredith nodded. "Name." He asked. "Dr Meredith Grey." She replied. The young mans eyes went wide in shock. "No way! I love your work!" He exclaimed. "Uh, sorry, your table in right this way." He said as he led them to a round table in the middle.

They all sat down, Ellis still held tightly on Merediths lap. Derek discreetly checked his wife out and smirked. She was wearing a long, black v neck dress and her hair was down and curled. As the night went on, many of Merediths friends and colleagues joined, like Richard, Bailey, Mark, even dr Ryan. There were so many of Seattle doctors at the event.

Little did Meredith know was that her closest friends were all on their way. Cristina, George, izzie, and Alex all left the military years ago. They actually all worked at neighboring hospitals to Seattle Grace, like Seattle Presbyterian and Seattle Clinical.

As Meredith was chatting with Richard, she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around. "Hi!" She exclaimed in surprise as she saw dereks whole family. "Congratulations!" All Shepherd women exclaimed. "Thank you! What are you guys doing here?" She asked shocked. "Derek told us you were nominated so we decided to fly out." Carolyn replied. Meredith looked at Derek who had a big smile on his face. "Come sit down!" Meredith said happily.

"You ready Meredith?" Bailey asked. "Yeah, I think so." She replied as she cuddled her youngest daughter. Zola and Bailey had wandered over to their aunts and grandma, but Ellis was being clingy, and Meredith was okay with that. She was helping to calm her nerves.

To think that 15 years ago Meredith was just a lonely military soldier shocked her. It shocked her how much she was missing out on at the time. Now, she has 3 beautiful kids, and the best husband a girl could ask for, and was nominated for a Harper Avery. Her career had taken off after she got injured.

"Ladies and gentleman, we are now going to begin." A voice front up front said from the podium. "The Harper Avery award was named after a dear old friend of mine, who loved surgery more than anything. He was an...odd guy, but he had good intentions. Harper recently passed away. So, in honor of him, let us take a few seconds and remember his life." Catherine said softly.

"The Harper Avery award was created to inspire, to motivate surgeons to do their best. It pushed them to the next level, to think outside the box. We have 8 nominees from all over the country. Boston, California, Seattle, I could go on and on. So without further ado, my son, Jackson Avery, will be presenting this years award." Catherine said.

"This years Harper Avery for surgical innovation goes to...." he trailed off for the suspense. Derek squeezed Merediths hand tightly and smiled. "Dr Meredith Grey!" He announced. Merediths jaw dropped and she stood up. Carolyn had taken Ellis from her earlier. "I'm so proud of you." Derek said, hugging her tightly.

Meredith walked up to the stage and took a deep breath. "Thank you. Thank you so much. I...I would never have gotten here if it weren't for my friends and family and the doctors at Seattle Grace. They saved me, literally and figuratively. My three beautiful kids and my husband are the best things to happen to me, and they inspire me to be the best surgeon and the best person I could be. To my colleagues, I thank you so much for your endless support. It's been a blessing to be able to work with all of you. And thank you to my patient, Megan hunt. I wouldn't be here without you. Thank you all so much." Meredith said as she held up her award.

Her friends and family all stood up, clapping and hollering as she made her way back to the table. She wrapped her arms tightly around Derek. The kids wanted in so Derek lifted up Zola and Bailey while Meredith lifted up Ellis. "You won!" Bailey exclaimed happily. "We love you so much Mer." Derek said with a proud smile. "I love you guys too. So much." She replied.

Hey guys!! So, that's the end of this book. I hope you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Thank you all for the support on this and I hope you read some others of mine. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!! Thank you all, love you guys!!