40. Misunderstandings part 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The scary thing is that a misunderstanding is like a spark and before you get hold of it, it has lit the whole forest in an inescapable fire."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New year day

When Annabeth woke up on the morning of January 1st, she felt disoriented like never before. She'd spent a needless amount of time over a part of her project the previous night and dozed off in the library.

Wait a minute.... there is no library near my home!

She woke up in a rush to realise that she'd dozed off in the palace library - of all places! In a frenzy, she looked around her drawings only to realise that she hadn't completed them. She cursed.

It was when Annabeth made it to the restroom - after sorting her stuff out in the room - that she realised that the corridors were unusually lonely. Guards weren't there in places she expected them to be. Relieved that there weren't any emergency alarms, she made it back to the library to check if she had missed something when she ran into-

"Ah, you're awake."

"I- um-"

"Don't worry. I'm only here to call you to breakfast. Not gonna interrogate you with any weird questions."

"Breakfast?"

"Well, it's almost 11. I think you should have brunch at least."

He started walking towards the staircase and signalled her to follow. Stuck in the awkward situation, she followed.

"You're Eddie, right?"

"Bingo, good memory. And, you're Annabeth Chase, have a green card, first daughter of General Chase but don't have the same mother as his other children-" He saw her expression change colours. "Ah. Over-information, I guess. Don't worry, they're just facts I'm supposed to know."

She nodded. When they made it down to the dining hall, she had only one question in mind. "Who else is inside?"

"The Royals have already finished their meals, if that's what you're asking." He smiled at her avoiding his eyes. "There will only be people around our age inside."

"How old are you?" She teased.

"Haha, not funny."

They opened the door to find an empty breakfast table with many guards standing around. Annabeth immediately found Grover, who seemed to be equally happy to have someone he knows around him.

"Do you have any idea about what's happening today? She whisper shouted to him.

Grover crossed his hands in a no. "I think it has something to do with the fact that we're green." The guard next to him glared at Grover. "Oh, don't worry, she is green too!"

The guard glared more.

All the commotion died down when someone boldly opened the door and entered. "You are requested to go back to your regular duties if I didn't personally ask you to be here. Line 2 guards please guard the door."

It was Percy walking in with someone as tall as him but broader on the sides. Annabeth had never met Tyson but she'd seen enough pictures to know that it was him.

After the other guards left, she realised that she knew some of the people around. The Stolls, Jason and Eddie were the ones she recognised. Another guards face felt familiar but she didn't recognise him. And, finally, there was a new addition to the group, a boy and a girl she'd never seen before.