13: Too much to wish for...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Somewhere between love and hate lies confusion, misunderstanding and desperate hope."
― Shannon L. Alder

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been nearly two days since Annabeth and Percy's fight.

Annabeth didn't attend any royal meals. When Piper cheerfully demanded that they wear matching dresses (the next day), Annabeth turned cold and told her that she wanted to be alone for a while. For two days, it has been just her, her books, her work and classes.

She knows Percy was free... well, comparitively. If Percy was right and the military problems were really over, that means the other royals would step in to handle everyday administrations and other works while they give Percy room to concentrate on the Selection. Besides, she knows for a fact that part of the gang met another time that morning and Percy couldn't possibly spend so much time with his friends if he was busy.

All these days she was waiting to spend time with him and now that he does have time, they're fighting.

Great, universe, great.

She decided that it was about time she stepped out and apologised to Piper. She put on a two piece white dress figuring that she owed Piper at least a walk around for ignoring her for two days. She opened the door and found a tall, blond hair man probably in his late 20s at Willow's desk.

Annabeth called out, "Luke!!", she waved.

Luke turned to her, "Hey Annie! I was just asking about you", he walked a few steps towards her, "Apparently I can't trick anything out of your mentor."

Annabeth hit Luke on his shoulder playfully, "Of course you can't. She's too straight. What are you doing here?"

"I thought we could catch up. We didn't really get much time to before. I took a day off today so if you're free.. but.. now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I am allowed here on off duty days."

Luke took a day off and he could have done anything with it but he still chose to meet with me.

Annabeth doesn't want to feel excited. It's not right.

But she can't deny it. Luke was her first crush.

"You're Percy's guard, I think we have exceptions. Sure, I'm free. So... I'll show you around?"

He frowned skeptically, "I'm the guard. I'm supposed to know the place. You'll show me around?"

"And I've lived here for years. Which makes more sense?"

Luke smiled, "Okay Princess, show me around."

If Miss. Willow had any problem with Annabeth showing 'random' guards around the palace, she didn't show it. She looked at them, listened to their conversation and went back to shuffling papers and writing something.

Annabeth wanted to care but she couldn't find it in herself to.

I need a break.

...............

Luke and Annabeth decided to go to the gardens because 1) They can't go to the library because it was above the 2nd floor, 2) Library isn't the best place to catch up because they'll have to talk in hushed voices, 3) Gardens are places guards and Selected most go through and it won't look too odd to see a Selected with one there.

Luke, "-- That's how it happened. Then boom three years of training and I get a good guard position. Two more years and I was recruited to serve the palace."