Witness

-^-

J. B. Barnes-*

 Bucky regarded the girl in front of him full of boiling anger and dripping in blood, regret, and sadness. No expression adorned his face, and he didn't answer a word, seemingly making the girl rage more.

 "I asked you a question. Happy? Happy you got to look at me all weak and pathetic?"

 Mathilda snarled, as she gripped the knife in her hand once again, throwing it at Bucky. The knife harmlessly passed through him, as it embedded itself into the cement wall behind, slightly vibrating from the force.

 "No."

 Bucky answered, as Mathilda banged her head angrily into the wall behind her.

 "Then what?"

 The girl screamed, as her bleeding hand dropped beside her. 

 A moment of silence swirled between the two, as they both stared at each other, their gazes searing.

 Bucky stared down at the girl, his hands pocking into his pockets. He felt terrible for the kid. Terrible that she went through all of that. Horrible that he was there, but he didn't even have the memories of them together. Remorseful that he wasn't able to protect the pure soul that had lightened the dark cell they had shared.

 "Don't."

 "Bucky blinked in confusion by her sudden and abrupt command.

 "Don't what?"

 Mathilda glared at Bucky, then turned to stare at another side of a wall.

 "...That look," She spit out. "The pity in your eyes, it's disgusting."

 "......Then what should I do?"

 Bucky asked, as he sat down in his spot, cross legged and eye level to Mathilda. "You may not want this, but we really want to help, Tilly."

 "And when did I say that I needed it?"

 Mathilda snarled, her eyes seemingly a shade brighter than it's original silver. "When did I ask you to help?!"

 "You need it," 

 Bucky cut in. "You need it, but you're just not admitting-"

 "Because I don't need that fucking help of yours'!!"

 Bucky stopped, as the girl stood up, relying most of her weight on the cement wall.

 "Everything's probably gonna stop when I die," She whispered, to Bucky's horror. "This...this all happened because of me. You know that, don't you...?"