Chapter 2: The Bet

"I'm telling you, Anna," Alisa, her best friend said, "if you do not snog a guy tonight I will set you up with my creepy cousin Dan, and you really don't want that." She really did not want that. Alisa's cousin Dan was a creepy dude that had asked Alisa a few too many times if Anna would go on a date with him.
It was Saturday night and the girls were planning on going out in the city tonight. Alisa was going through Anna's wardrobe to find a nice outfit for her to wear. She was sitting on her bed, occasionally catching a piece of clothing that Alisa threw her way.
"If you set me up with Dan, I will literally stop being friends with you," she said and stood up from her bed. She made her way over to the stove, which was in the same room as her bed, as well as her dining table with three chairs that were all different. It was a one-room flat, literally, but it was big enough for her alone. She loved it a lot. She had a great view over Charing Cross Road and the windowsill was big enough for her to sit in. It was her favourite spot in the room.
She lifted the lid of the pan filled with fresh vegetable soup and stirred it. It was half-past seven and they would first have dinner, homemade soup and bread, and then they would get ready for a night out. Though Anna was not too big on partying, she was excited about it tonight. She could use a few drinks and a night where they would not have a thing on their mind.
"Okay, but Anna, you have been single for like a year now. And you haven't even snogged anyone else," Alisa explained why she was so eager for Anna to hook up with someone again. "Honestly, Anna, it's kind of pathetic." She rolled her eyes and turned around again to see Alisa hold up a lingerie set that she had fished out of the bottom drawer. Alisa raised her eyebrow as she held it up in front of her body. "And now this beautiful piece is just dusting away in your drawer."
"Give that back," Anna groaned and snatched it from her hands. "It's not pathetic. I just haven't been looking to date and I don't fancy snogging a stranger on the street," she defended herself and placed the set back in the drawer of her wardrobe.
"Right. Tell me again why you haven't been dating? You're 20 years old, babes. You're wasting your prime years," Alisa sighed dramatically and let herself collapse on the bed.
"I'm not wasting my prime years, Alisa," she sighed and shook her head. "I'm focussing on a career instead of a relationship." It was an excuse, a cheesy one at that. Truth was, her ex really hurt her. For three years they were together before all he left her with was a note and a broken heart. Her trust was severely damaged and she just did not feel secure enough to give her heart to someone else yet. Mindless and casual sex was not exactly her thing so she had not hooked up with anyone since they broke up about a year ago.
"Yeah, yeah. I know that's just a lame excuse. Besides, you have a great job so I think it's time for you to get back into the world of dating," Alisa said and curled a strand of her soft pink hair around her finger. "What did you do today?"
"I took a walk through the city, read a few chapters in my new book, baked bread and I made soup," she answered. She had quite a nice day. She took a long walk through Hyde Park, picked up some groceries for the soup on the way back, enjoyed reading for a few hours and of course, baked bread.
"Ugh, you're so cute but come on. You baked bread on a Saturday. You see what I mean, babes? Wasting your prime years," said her best friend disapprovingly. Anna just shrugged her shoulders and started setting the table for dinner. She was starting to get annoyed by Alisa but she did not let it show. "I'll make you a deal. If I can go an entire night without snogging a stranger, and I go back home with you instead of anyone else, you have to go on a date. Just one."
She put two plates and bowls on the table along with the bread and pan of soup. "A date with who?" she asked as she grabbed each of them a glass of water before sitting down on the table. Alisa sat down next to her and shrugged her shoulders.
"We'll decide that tomorrow," she said casually.
"Only if manage to go home with me and not snog anyone," she said and poured herself a bowl of soup. Alisa let out an excited squeal.
"So you're saying yes to my bet?" she asked in disbelief. She hesitated for a moment but then realised, there was no way that Alisa would not snog anyone tonight, so there was no way she'd lose anyway. Alisa held out her hand for Anna to shake and she took it.
"Fine. Yes, I am."