Chapter 25: The Father

"I'm just saying, George, if Angelina is looking at rings, showing Fred pictures of them, and happily telling him about how a colleague got engaged, she's ready to be proposed to," Anna told him while mixing some cake batter in a bowl.
"No, she's not. She just liked flipping through the magazines you left at the flat," he argued and crossed his arms. "There's no way Fred is getting married already."
George had gone home with Anna after the opening yesterday. She was still nervous about it for some reason, but it was out of her control now so she had to try and let it go. What better way to distract yourself than baking a cake?
"I'm not saying they are getting married. Only like two pages per magazine are dedicated to rings, so she's making it obvious. God, you two are oblivious," she chuckled, shaking her head. "If Fred isn't ready then he doesn't have to propose, but I'm telling you, if she's giving him all those hints, she for sure is ready."
"And what do you know about it?" he asked and tilted his head. She chuckled and turned back to the counter. She grabbed a square-shaped baking mould from a cupboard.
"I'm a hopeless romantic. Besides, any person would notice that!" she laughed and poured the batter into the mould.
"No, they wouldn't! If she wants to get married why doesn't she just propose to him?" George asked.
"I don't know. Maybe they haven't even talked about it. But nevertheless, it's not really our business, is it?" she asked and opened up the oven to put the cake in.
"It sort of is, I mean, he's my twin brother," he said, turning the page of the paper he was reading. "So if she wants to get married she has to ask for my permission first-" Her phone started ringing as he spoke.
"No, she does not George." She picked up the phone, raising an eyebrow at George who had a wide grin on his lips. "Hello?"
"Happy birthday, babes!" Alisa yelled. Anna's cheeks flushed red and she hoped that George did not overhear Alisa. She turned around and started to clear up the counter, pressing her phone between her shoulder and ear.
"Hi Alisa," she said. She turned twenty-one today, but she had not celebrated her birthday in seven years. "I don't know what you're talking about." Alisa still wished her a happy birthday every year, no matter how many times she said that she did not celebrate it.
"Yes, you do. You are twenty-one years old today and I think it is time for you to abolish your rule about not celebrating it," Alisa spoke.
"I disagree," Anna replied. "I see no point in that. Why are you trying to change me so much, Alisa? First, you force me to get back into dating now this." She sighed and shook her head.
"I am coming over with drinks and gifts and a birthday cake and I'm calling your friends-"
"No you wouldn't!" she gasped and grabbed the phone in her hand again. George was listening closely, but as he could not hear Alisa, he was not sure what it was about.
"I wouldn't. But I'm still convinced that you should celebrate it again. You have a great boyfriend, your art is put up in a gallery, you have a good job, a flat, the most fantastic best friend. I think it's time for a party," she tried to convince her, but it was not working.
"I don't think so. I just want to relax and catch up on some sleep. I have been so worked up about the opening, I need a day off," she said and turned around again, leaning back against the counter. George raised an eyebrow but she just shrugged her shoulders.
"Fine. But I did buy you a gift," Alisa informed her.
"I didn't expect anything else from you." She always bought Anna a gift.
"I'll call you later. Have a nice day. I will try again next year."
"I'm looking forward to it." They said goodbye and she placed the phone back on the hook.
"What was that about?" George asked curiously. She pulled off her apron and hung it over a chair before sitting down.
"Nothing important. Just Alisa and her enthusiast outbursts," she said and shrugged her shoulders. "Do you want to go out for dinner tonight? There's a-"
"What are you hiding from me?" He squinted his eyes and a smirk grew on his lips. "What was that really about?" She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "Anna."
"George."
"What did Alisa call you about?" he asked again and crossed his arms. Lucky for Anna, she got saved by the bell. Literally. The bell rang and she opened up the door enthusiastically. That enthusiasm left when she saw who it was.