Chapter 7: The Fifth

The rest of the week she had been doubting every decision she had ever made in her life. She had always been an overthinker and now that Alisa had taken her off cloud nine, Anna was lost in her mind once more. She had tried to convince herself to just let it go and to give George and chance to explain it all, but it was really hard.
Tonight, however, he would come over to her place and she would prepare dinner. She was deadly nervous and her hands wouldn't stop shaking at work. She had blamed it on the coffee but she had only had one cup. It wasn't until her second break of the day that Nico had interfered.
They were walking outside on Trafalgar Square. She felt a little overwhelmed by the crowds and she tried to focus on her breathing instead. He pulled her down onto a bench and looked at her with a stern face.
"Now you're going to tell me what has been bothering you and we're not leaving this bench until I know," he told her. She took a deep breath and bit her bottom lip. She wanted to tell him, but the more people she told, the more real it got. He leaned back and looked over the square casually. She knew he meant it; they would not leave until she told him.
"George is coming over for dinner tonight," she spoke softly. He looked over at her.
"And you're nervous about that because..? I thought things were going well with him!" he cheered, a peaceful smile on his lips. She did not return his smile.
"They were, like, really well. Too well, maybe. I don't know. Alisa just said something and-" she swallowed hard and looked down at the ground. "I can't stop overthinking it."
"What are you overthinking, love?" he questioned. There was a tone of concern in his voice.
"There are just a few things that don't seem to be making sense with him. Like I don't know. Isn't it weird that he came to visit the museum after only two dates?" she questioned and looked at Nico, who immediately shook his head.
"You told him to come to visit sometime.  He did. Sure, it was a little enthusiastic perhaps but didn't you say that his brother pushed to get a tour by you? He would've been perfectly fine just wandering around on his own," he said, which was true.
George would have been fine wandering around on his own. Sure, he enjoyed it more that they got a tour with her, but in the end, all he wanted was to go to the museum so he could better understand what she was talking about.
"Yes but-"
"But no. You're not allowed to overthink that. It was kind of romantic, don't you think? Like the time you chased him down the street to ask him on a date?" He raised an eyebrow at her and she felt the blood rush to her cheeks. To this day, it was the craziest thing she had done and no one was letting her forget it. She had let loose and now everyone was teasing her about it, but she did not really care.
"Fine. What about the fact that I can't find his joke shop and that I don't know where he lives? Or about the fact that he sent me a letter with the use of an owl?" she questioned.
"I don't have a counter-argument for those things," he sighed. "However, have you asked where his shop is? Or on what street he lives?" She stayed silent. She had not. "That's what I thought. Now, what else?" She thought for a moment. There were many thoughts on her mind but she did not want to share them all. There was one thing that bothered her the most though, something she really wanted to share.
"What if he has been lying or just playing me? What if- What if I get hurt again, Nico?" she asked him. "I let myself get played once before, what if it happens again?"

Her ex had left quite a big scar on her heart. He was her first love, first kiss, her first of many things. When she found out he had been cheating for six months in a row, not to mention the three times he had cheated in the year before, her heart broke.
She did not know how to deal with it because, in her mind, he was her future. She really thought that he was the one for her but he played her and he played her hard. She had never felt such betrayal.
Noah even tried acting like it was her fault, saying she was busier with her art career than with him, which was a blatant lie. He was just not supportive of her artworks. He had been in the first year, but then something changed. He became indifferent and easily irritated.
When they broke up she felt stupid. Everyone had seen what a git he was, except her. They all knew she deserved better than a guy who cared more about his own career, about money and overall not about her. She just did not want to believe it at first, but she had no choice. Luckily Alisa was there to pull her through it.