Chapter 13: The Party

On Saturday morning Anna had been painting. She had been so exhausted from work that for a few weeks now she had very little energy and inspiration to paint but she finally got to it again. This morning she had woken up with a ton of motivation to finally continue the project she was working on.
Of course, she worked at the museum but her true dream was making money with her artworks. She did not even have to make a lot off of them, but just selling them or exhibiting them somewhere would be a dream come true. She had sent her portfolio to some art galleries but most of them had denied her request or had put her on a 'waitlist'.
She had a special outfit for when she was painting. It was an old pair of overalls - covered in paint splatters - and on the legs, she had painted sunflowers. Underneath she wore a simple t-shirt that was also covered in paint stains. Her hair was pulled up in a bun so that it would not get in the way, though after several hours of painting it was covered in paint, as well as her cheeks, hands and neck.
It was warm outside but with the window open, a nice breeze made it bearable. The sun brought plenty of daylight which was good because according to her, painting was better with natural light than with artificial light.
It was around noon when her phone rang. "Hello?" she picked up, putting her paintbrush in a bowl with water.
"Anna, it's me, Alisa," her friend told her. That was when she remembered. It was Alisa's birthday. She had completely forgotten to call this morning.
"Happy birthday, Lis!!" she cheered through the phone. "I'm so sorry I haven't ringed you yet." Tonight they would go out with a bunch of Alisa's friends. She turned twenty-one today and she had wished for a big party with loads of alcohol.
"It's fine! Thank you, babes," she said. "I have been wondering - I don't know why I haven't asked before - but invite George if you will? I would like to meet the bloke who's making my best friend forget to wish me a happy birthday." Anna laughed a little and shook her head slightly.
"Actually, I haven't talked to him yet today, so-"
"Teasing, babes."
"But okay. If you want that. I mean, I can ask him. For sure. He'll like that. I think," she stammered. "I'll just call and ask if he wants to come along tonight-"
"Don't be nervous. It's only me! I just want to get to know him a little before you take things any further. I'm your best friend, An. I need to approve of him first!" she cheered. Anna chuckled a little again and nodded. It was true. Well, perhaps, in a way.
They had an unspoken agreement that when things would get serious with someone, that person would need to get approved by the other first. When you have been best friends with someone for ten years you come up with your own rules, at least, they had.
"I know," she sighed slightly. "Which is what makes me nervous, Alisa. You're my best friend. What if you don't like him!"
"Then you have to stop seeing him! That's the rule," replied Alisa.
"But I don't want to!"
"Then make sure he impressed me!" she teased. "I'm sure I'll like him, babes. If you like him so much, I must like him too, right?" Perhaps, but Anna was unsure about that. George would like Alisa, she was sure. Alisa was social, open, funny even.
But Alisa was also very judgmental.
Anna liked George. He was kind, caring, he made her laugh a lot. She really liked him, so she hoped that Alisa would too.
"I'll tell you what, let him take his twin too. I need a snack too tonight-"
"Fred has a girlfriend," she interrupted her. Alisa groaned slightly.
"Fine. He can still join us. The more the merrier," she said. "Oh and bring alcohol! See you tonight, babes! Come early so you can help me set up, yeah?"
"I will. See you tonight, Lis," she said. "Love you."
"Love you more!" She put her phone back on the table and sighed. There were a few things George had to know before meeting Alisa.
One; Alisa was judgmental as hell. He would have to put on his best face, which did not mean being overly polite or courteous, it meant being funny, loose and a little reckless, which she was sure he could do.
Two; Even though Alisa had pushed her to date again, she was also overly protective of Anna. George would truly have to make a good impression or she would tell Anna to stop seeing him.
Three; Alisa had been Anna's best friend for ten years now and they were inseparable. She was very cautious as to who Anna hangs out with, especially if it's a possible love interest.
But then again; George was amazing and if she liked him so much, Alisa would have to like him too, right?