Chapter 19: The Game Boy

Mr Weasley had a massive collection of muggle devices. He had a large collection of old plugs stuffed in a dusty old box, lawnmowers, old records and much more. She did not understand what he found so fascinating about it all but then again; she had grown up thinking those were the 'normal' things to use in daily life. Still, he could make things explode, spin, duplicate or more with a stick, what was so extraordinary about a plug?
"George told me that you took him on the escapators in London. Do you often travel on the trains that travel under the cities? What did Harry name them again?" he looked thoughtfully.
"Undergrounds, sir," she said and smiled. He was super excited to show her what he possessed and to hear her talk more about 'mundane' life. "And it's escalators, but I understand what you meant. I always walk to work but whenever I want to get elsewhere in the city I take the underground. They're fine but especially in summer, they're rather crowded."
"Fascinating. I went on one time! Can't believe that that has all been made without a sparkle of magic," he said with wide eyes. She nodded and picked up a green tube. "Ah, yes. My newest one! Could you tell me what it is?"
"I'm pretty sure that it's a garden hose, Mr Weasley," she said, smiling. "Muggles attach it to a faucet and can use it to water their garden. With a nozzle, they can determine the way the water comes out. Sometimes it sprays and other times it's a harder jet."
"Fascinating," he gasped again. She chuckled slightly and followed him further into his garage.
"You have a lot of stuff, Mr Weasley," she said and looked at the box with plugs. "Do you collect plugs?" He nodded and picked up a few.
"Isn't it wonderful how much they can achieve without magic? Eckeltricity is a wonderful finding of yours isn't it?" His eyes were big and they had a joyful sparkle in them. A big smile rested on his lips. He was rather excited to talk to Anna about muggle life. Sure, he had talked to Harry and Hermione on plenty of occasions but they were not actual muggles anymore, she was.
"Do you mean electricity, sir?" she asked and tilted her head. His cheeks flushed as red as his hair and he nodded. "I think it's quite impressive too, to be honest. If I may say so, of course, as a muggle, I mean." He nodded and grabbed something from a drawer and placed it in front of her.
"This was found in a raid last week. An old colleague of mine handed it to me, thought I might like it. I just don't know what it is, do you?" he asked. It was a bright yellow rectangle with two red buttons and one black cross button. There were a few openings that worked as speakers. It was a Game Boy.
"It's a toy. It's a Game Boy, actually. A pretty new one too! You can play games on it," she said and took it from him to check if there was a game inside. "Ah, Super Mario Land. Are you sure this didn't belong to a child?" He shrugged his shoulders.
"So how does it work?" he asked, more curious about how it worked than if it was stolen.
"Well, I don't know if it's charged," she said and tried to turn it on. A short tune played and Arthur bounced back slightly. "Oh, it's okay. It just means that it's on!" she said quickly and showed the small screen to him. It flashed showing the words 'Game Boy' before the game started. She explained how it worked and Arthur tried playing Super Mario. His tongue was pressed between his lips as he focused on the game. He died within a few seconds and the screen read 'Game Over'.
"Amazing! Brilliant!" he cheered and looked over at Anna with the happiest look on his face. "How does it do that? Is there a little man stuck in there? How does it work?" She laughed a little and started to explain that there was not a man stuck in the device, but that it was just a game. He was amazed to hear all about games and muggles and he had prepared many, many questions for her. Many of them were rather easy to answer, some she struggled to explain as well. Nevertheless, Arthur's questions were distracting her from the whole Lee situation.
"George told me that you have visited a few countries already. How do you travel there? Did you travel with an aeroplane?" he asked her curiously.
"Depends on the country. To France we went in the car, took the ferry over the water, but to other destinations I took an aeroplane, yes," she nodded, smiling kindly.
"How does it stay up in the air without magic?" he asked her immediately. She chuckled a little. Mr Weasley seemed eager to find out how aeroplanes could stay up in the air, and though even Anna was not one hundred per cent sure, she tried her best to explain it to me, fulfilling part a dream he could only hope would come true.