1.14 | 'don't call me a cop'

CHRISTMAS HAD COME and went, and it was time for sierra and the rest of the bau to get back to work. sierra's sister had gotten her the pearl necklace that was strewn across her neck, and atticus a pair of socks with his face littered all over them.

which was ironic, given that she had gotten him the same thing.

but, her absolute favorite gift — though she would never tell anyone this — was hanging in her closet. it wasn't even a christmas present, but one she got for her birthday. sierra opened her closet, looking for an outfit appropriate to visit death row, and it stared back at her; that ratty old t-shirt.

what do you call an acid with attitude?
a-mean-oh acid!

that stupid t-shirt that she had worn when she locked herself out and spent the night at spencer's. she had washed it and given it back a few weeks earlier, but he wanted her to have it. she didn't know why, but deep down, she loved it. after all, that was the night that their friendship had blossomed — into what, she didn't quite know, but she knew it had. and it smelled just like him; old books, pumpkins, and coffee. and she meant it when she said she could breathe in that scent forever.

but eventually, she noticed a navy blouse in the back of her closet that seemed good enough to wear, so she grabbed it, and closed her closet without taking her eyes off of that stupid, ratty t-shirt.

so sierra quickly got herself dressed, and bounded down the stairs where mia and atticus sat at the island eating their breakfast. "headed out already?" mia asked her sister once she noticed her presence.

sierra gave her sister a nod, grabbing her winter coat off the coat rack. "we're interviewing jacob and sarah jean dawes." she told them. "they're set to be executed in 2 days."

"aren't they that serial killer couple from florida?" atticus asked, shoving his scrambled eggs into his mouth. sierra nodded, making the man let out a sigh. "well, if you ask me, they're getting what they deserve." he didn't think people necessarily deserved to die, but given that this couple had killed 12 teenage girls and their son riley — he had a hard time feeling bad for them.

sierra shrugged. "i don't really like the death penalty." she told them, scrunching her nose in disgust.

mia couldn't help but let out a chuckle at her younger sister — most people in her profession loved the death penalty. "that's a hot take for a cop."

sierra narrowed her eyes. "don't call me a cop."

atticus let out a small laugh at the sisters' banter, trying to alleviate the tension. "when do you think you'll be back?" he asked. though he may have had the house alone with his wife, he really missed the girl when she was gone. after living together for a few years, it seemed like a part of them was missing when she was away.

"after the execution." sierra answered. "the soonest would be 2 days." she also missed her sister and her husband when she was away too, but she rarely ever had time to think about them. between being with the team and working on the case, she never had a moment alone with her thoughts.

mia raised her eyebrows. "i'm guessing you'll be spending most of that time with doctor reid?" she asked sarcastically, walking towards the sink and placing her plate inside.

sierra furrowed her eyebrows. "no, i'll most likely be spending that time interviewing death row inmates." she answered, oblivion written all over her face. "why do you ask?"