1.21 | 'rookie'

SPENCER HAD BEEN sleeping quite soundly when a loud knock on his apartment door abruptly woke him up. he glanced over at the clock next to him, and saw that it was about two in the morning, and opened his drawer. inside the drawer was a small safe, that contained his gun. he opened it, took out his gun, and slowly headed to the front door.

no one should be here this early.

he made his way to the front door of his apartment, and peeked through the peephole. all he could see was a badge — that looked like it identified the person behind the door as cia. "uh, can i help you?" he said through the door.

"are you spencer reid?" the man on the other side of the door asked, still holding his badge to the peephole.

spencer hesitated for a moment, not sure of what to say. "uh, yeah." he said. "i am."

the man chuckled. "up and at 'em." he said. "time to get to work. orders of jason gideon."

between the official looking badge and knowing gideon's name, spencer was convinced these guys were legit. so, he reluctantly opened the door, and let them in.

the two men slowly walked into his living room, eyeing him up and down as he did the same to them. "so, uh, what's going on?" he asked. "is everything okay?"

the same man who did all of the talking earlier spoke up. "we can't tell you until we're in a secure location." he told the doctor. "but your entire team is getting escorted by us to quantico this morning."

spencer's eyes widened. "wait, you guys don't happen to be looking for agent hayes, are you?"

the man nodded. "we have units on the way to her address right now." he told him.

spencer winced. "you're not going to find her there."

the two cia agents shared a glance, before looking back at the doctor — deadpanned. spencer, with his gun still gripped in his hand, slowly backed up, and made his way back towards the bedroom, not taking his eye off the agents until his bedroom door closed in front of him.

he walked over to where sierra slept in his bed, just like she had that one time she locked herself out months earlier. she looked so peaceful, he almost didn't want to wake her. but he knew he had to. carefully, he reached out to touch her shoulder, and lightly shook her.

her eyes slowly opened, and she swatted his hand away from her. "leave me alone." she groaned.

spencer let out a smile at her, almost forgetting why he even needed to wake her in the first place. "we have to go to work." he whispered.

the girl rubbed her eyes, before letting out another groan. "i hate work." she said. "what time is it?"

"about two." he answered.

the girl sat up, still tiredly rubbing her eyes. "shit." she whispered. "must be pretty bad."

spencer nodded. "i think it is." he admitted, before hesitating for a moment. "the cia's here."

suddenly the girl's eyes snapped open, as if she were wide awake. "what?" she exclaimed. "you're lying."

she quickly hopped out of the bed, and walked over to the bedroom door, opening it just a crack, so her head could peek out. she saw the two men standing there, and they seemed to take note of her as well. one of them brought their wrist to their mouth, as if they were speaking into a microphone. "yeah, cancel the hayes unit." he said. "we've got eyes on her."