1.01 | 'after the bullet in his brain he couldn't really work anymore'

NOBODY COULD MISS the pep in sierra hayes' step as she bounded down the stairs where her brother in law atticus morielli was making breakfast in the kitchen. "morning sunshine." he said, a playful grin on his face as he flipped a pancake over in the griddle.

sierra playfully raised her eyebrows, looking the tall darkskinned man up and and down. "cute apron." she retorted.

atticus glanced down at his apron that had the words kiss the chef embroidered onto it. "you like?" he asked, a smirk toying on his lips.

sierra took a glance around, noticing the pancakes that had littered the kitchen and nearby dining room. "what's the occasion?" she asked. "you usually only make pancakes on your anniversary or my birthday."

"you don't think i forgot, do you?" atticus asked, flipping the pancake over again and putting it on the stack of plates next to him. "it's your first day in the fbi!" he exclaimed, handing her the plate with the pancake on it. "that's occasion enough."

a smile crept onto sierra's face. "hate to burst your bubble but it's not my first day in the fbi." she told him, grabbing the plate and leaning over the island counter to eat the pancake. "that was three years ago when i first moved in." she reminded him. "this is my first day with the behavioral analysis unit as a profiler."

atticus shrugged. "same shit." he sighed, putting another pancake on the griddle.

before sierra could respond with a snappy comeback, the clicking of heels down the stairs alerted the two that mia morielli was making her way towards them. "are those pancakes i smell?" she asked, her pace quickening as she recognized the scent.

"got a banana chocolate chip with your name written all over it, baby." atticus replied, placing her pancake on the stack of plates next to him.

mia's face lit up as she walked right over to where the man stood. "my favorite." she said, planting a kiss on the man's lips. "i love you."

"i love you, too." atticus answered.

sierra rolled her eyes in disgust as she picked up her plate and moved to the little table further away from the couple. "you know, that's not any less gross than it was in high school." she retorted.

her sister mia hayes had been practically married to atticus morielli since the two were in middle school. they had met in their sixth grade science class when they were chosen to be lab partners, and the rest was history. everyone used to call them the cory and topanga of their own school, which left sierra to be shawn. shawn happened to be sierra's favorite character on the show, but that didn't change the fact that he spent most of the series alone. especially after cory and topanga got married.

and when atticus and mia tied the knot a couple years earlier, sierra's point was proven even more.

so sierra threw herself into her job, especially after moving in and having to be around the couple all the time, and eventually moved her way up to a member of the most elite team on the fbi, the behavioral analysis unit.

she wasn't exactly sure how she got there, since she had most recently worked as an eac, which stands for an employee assistance counselor, and didn't spend much time on the field. but, she did do a lot of psychoanalysis of both victims, suspects, and even agents themselves. if there was one thing she was good at, it was human behavior.