Chapter 33: A Brotha from Anotha Motha

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

The next month passed in what I could only describe as the happiest time of my life. Maybe most people wouldn't describe the apocalypse coming to a head as the 'happiest time of their life', but other people hadn't had my life to compare it to.

I was used to facing everything that went bump in the night. I was used to fighting to the death and drowning my sorrows in alcohol. None of that was new. What was new was having people to face it with. For the first time in my life, I wasn't alone. Dean and I tried to keep our relationship as private as possible so Sam never felt like the third wheel. If anything, he would yell at us if Dean and I sat on separate couches. Bobby didn't know, yet, for the sheer fact that Dean valued his life and wanted to figure out a safe way of telling our only living father figure.

And still, every moment was bliss.

Sure we argued, and got frustrated with each other, but at the end of the day, one of us would sneak into the others room at night and just hold them: a reminder we still weren't alone. Eventually one of us would apologize, and everything would be okay. And when we went on hunts and faced everything the Apocalypse had to throw at us—the whore of Babylon, snarky demons and stuck up angels—we did it together, with Dean's hand in mine before each and every fight.

But nothing lasts forever.

Which brings me to today. Today I sat angrily on Bobby's couch, refusing to look at a flustered Dean Winchester as he paced like a caged animal. In fact, Sam, Bobby, Cass and I were all having trouble looking at the eldest Winchester. "What the hell were you thinking?" Bobby scolded, finally breaking the silence.

I snorted in mock amusement. "Obviously he wasn't." That certainly earned me a glare from his royal highness.

"I was thinking," he snapped his attention away from me, "saying 'yes' to Michael gets us half a planet which is better than no planet."

"So going nuclear was the best option? Without telling us?" Without telling me? Every ounce of me wanted to add the last part, but I held it back, nails digging into my palms. Not here. I told myself. Not now.

His gaze was heavy on me, but I couldn't look at him. If I did, there would be no holding back the emotions I'd bottled up a day ago since he'd gone missing. To get his affairs in order, is what he'd mumbled out after Castiel brought him back. "I was going to leave a note." His voice was a little softer this time, making it obvious he'd finally figured out how much his actions had hurt me.

I scoffed, glaring at the worn floorboards. "So, if I decided to go on a suicide mission on my own, you'd be content with just a note? We can think of a plan!"

"Think of what, Andy? Some magical solution to all of this?" He paused, waiting for my solution. I had none. I could tell him about Gabriel's trainings because we weren't even sure it would work. I couldn't give him false hope, but what else could I tell him? "Don't you get it? We could save a boatload of people this way. If I don't do this, their deaths are on my hands." I could feel his piercing green gaze still boring into me, but I couldn't meet it. For the first time since I'd found him dead in that motel room, I was scared. Terrified even. I never wanted to go back to the life I had before these three idiots. They were my world, now. They were family.