Chapter 27: You and Me Against the World

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

"How was your run?" Dean asked as I walked into the hotel room and placed my headphones on the table in front of me. He was currently standing over his bed, taking stock of the weapons in his green duffle bag.

A confused and cautious look adorned my features as I eyed him suspiciously. "Fine," I dragged out. "Sleep well?" Though I was thankful he seemed to have woken up in a better mood than he'd gone to bed, I couldn't help but step cautiously.

He shrugged. "Same as usual."

"You know," I told him as I leaned down and began to stretch my hamstrings, "you didn't have to sleep on the floor last night. We could have shared like normal." My face was flushed from the topic which only served to annoy me. I should be happy I had a full bed to myself. Why did it irritate me so badly that he hadn't held me as he usually did on a mission? It was the one time we wouldn't let reality catch us.

From my stretching stance, I looked over to where he had his back to me and saw him visibly tense. Maybe I imagined it, however, because the next moment he was as cool as ever. "Just being a gentleman." Dean replied smoothly, making me chuckle.

"Well that's new." I mused. "What's next? Suits instead of leather jackets?"

The man chuckled, a warm deep sound that resonated through the room. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves, now."

This time it was my turn to shrug. Straightening myself, I grabbed my backpack from the end of the bed and gave him a wink. "A girl can dream." Leaving him a tad flustered with the comment, I made my way into the bathroom for a shower, thankful he was at least acting semi-normal this morning.

Despite being as quick as I could, the guilt that always seemed to appear when I had too much time to think arrived right on cue. With my heart heavy and my thoughts swirling, I dried quickly and threw on the first items of clothing I had at the top of the bag. Finishing by toweling off my hair, I stepped out of the bathroom as Dean was finishing up on the phone.

"Yeah, alright. We'll see you in ten." Sparky said, hanging up as I flopped onto the bed and pulled my laptop over. "Nuh uh. Go change. We've gotta meet Sammy."

I spread my arms out and looked down. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" My eyes snapped back to him just in time to watch his gaze trail down my body in a way that caused me to shiver.

With a small chuckle and a hand running over is face, Dean shook his head. "You're in an AC/DC t-shirt and llama shorts. No one should be forced to see you like this."

Pursing my lips to hide my smile, I pushed the laptop aside again. "They're alpacas, thank you very much."

Dean let out a full laugh, shaking his head and standing up from the chair at the table. "I'm not sure I've ever seen an alpaca."