Chapter 20: Pudding

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

Sam and I were worried about Dean. He hadn't been himself since Carthage, and his birthday was fast approaching. I really really wanted him to be able to enjoy his birthday when it came. Sam and I were trying to plan something small. Cases seemed to be taking Dean's mind off of things at the very least, but I knew first hand how dangerous it was to bottle everything up.

"Sam! Lock up when you guys leave!" I called up the stairs, grabbing my keys to Stanley off of the hook and throwing my purse over my shoulder. The scrubs I was wearing were a dark navy blue and matched the sneakers I shoved onto my feet.

Dean wandered out from the family room, handing me a bottle of water. His green eyes brightened as he trailed me up and down. "You know, it's not the nurses uniform I hoped for, but it certainly looks good on you."

While normally I would hit his arm for such a comment, I couldn't help but smile. It'd taken a few days, but now- almost a week after the incident- it seemed like we were getting back to our relationship of back and forth banter. "Ha ha. Very funny." I chided, dropping the water into my purse. "You guys set to go in today?" He nodded, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and a small smile on his lips. "Good. I'll check in with you both when you get there. Remember, the plan is-"

He followed me out the door, waving the words away. "Yeah, yeah. It'll be fine." I rolled my eyes as I climbed into Stanley's driver seat. "Have a good day, Bubbles." The words were sincere, tugging my heart so hard that I had to grip the door to keep from racing back to him. Instead, I just waved with a soft smile and turned the key in the ignition.

Lincoln had been trying to get together for the past week, but I kept avoiding his calls. Was that awful of me? Yes. But after my talk with Ellen, I knew I couldn't keep stringing Lincoln along no matter how good the sex was. The fact of the matter was, I knew I felt something for Dean. Whether those feelings were just lust or something more, I still wasn't sure. Either way, Lincoln deserved someone who could give him their all, not just a few broken pieces they'd managed to scrape off of the pavement after they had shattered.

I turned up the radio, trying to drown out the feelings and emotions simmering inside of me. Honestly, if you'd told me a year ago that I would be letting myself feel things, I probably would have decapitated you for the mere suggestion. These boys had certainly done something to the big bad hunter I used to be. Def Leppard's song Photograph poured out of the stereo by the time I pulled into the parking lot of the psychiatric hospital.

For this case, Sam and Dean had gotten a call from a hunter that used to know their dad. Word was, Martin had gone crazy during a case in Albuquerque. Now he was hauled up here at Sunny Pines and claimed something supernatural was ganking patients. The boys and I were quick to cook up a plan, and I immediately took a job as a nurse with the hospital. The boys, however, had plans to get in deeper as patients themselves. That would go down today.