Ch.1 What Is Love?

Tzuyu POV

I remember when I first read the lyrics to What Is Love? At the time, I was intrigued. It did seem like something anyone inexperienced, confused or longing could relate to. But then next thing you know it, I realized how personally relatable it was for me. For years, I've had these strange feelings for my friend and member, Chaeyoung but I never knew what it was. As I began to hear and sing the song more, I realized how much I longed for the same answers as I looked at the shorter girl for whom I had these strange feelings for. I had finally classified my feelings as some form of love...a liking while also answering the questions of the song.

It can be sweet as candy but bitter like vinegar.

It can be like flying but it can also feel like falling onto the hard ground.

It can keep me smiling for a whole day or make me want to scream and cry all night.

It can turn the whole world beautiful or make everything dull and drab.

I know what love is...to a certain degree except my love is what one would call an unrequited love. Kind of like in all those teen, coming of age movies or a slice of life high school anime.

As I sit here in our dorm watching whatever Momo put on, I begin to question why I like Chaeyoung this way in the first place.

Is it because she's cute and short?

Do I only find her cute because she's short?

Maybe I've been spending too much time with her?

All of these questions and feelings are pointless though. I know for a fact Chaeyoung doesn't like me... She likes Mina. I don't know if Mina feels the same way or if they're secretly dating but I know that I feel a terrible sinking feeling whenever I see them together. And as if on cue, my misery has been cemented in the moment. The door to the dorm opened and in came Mina and Chaeyoung. Mina appeared as benevolent and kind as usual while Chaeyoung was all smiley and giggly. I want Chaeyoung to be happy and I'm glad she is but...well, I'm sad that it isn't me she's looking at like that.

"...Tzuyu?" Mina asked, and I snapped out of my trance, "We've been calling you for a bit now...you spaced out and kinda just frowned at us."

"Huh? Oh, uh, sorry!" I immediately yelped, I didn't realize I was staring like that, "I didn't know you two went out and I've been sitting here with Momo watching movies all afternoon so I was confused."

"Oh, we both had separate jobs to do but we met up for lunch before coming back," Chaeyoung replied smiling as I nodded. I love her smile but it isn't because of me. Though what is funny is, as if on cue, Momo who was actually asleep woke up at the word "lunch."

"Did you guys bring home lunch?" Momo asked, groggily.

"We thought you guys ate?" Chaeyoung said, looking from our Unnie to me.

"Uh...no...?" I replied, "I mean, we ate breakfast and had popcorn while watching the movies."

"You two..." Mina sighed as she shook her head and went into the kitchen, "I'll make some ramen for you two."

"Thank you, Mina-ssi!" Momo laughed as she sat up, "I'll help you though." With that it was just me, Chaeyoung, and the TV.

"What were you two watching?" Chaeyoung asks, walking over and sitting down next to me. My heart skipped a beat but I certainly believe that I appeared to be calm.

"To be honest, I have no idea," I chuckled and she smiled as she shook her head, "Momo-Unnie fell asleep in the middle of this one and I kind of just...zoned out."

"You've been zoning out a lot lately, Tzuyu," Chaeyoung said with concern laced into her voice, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, of course," I said turning to her and smiling. When we made eye contact she still looked skeptical, "Cool as a cucumber. Why so curious?"

"Well, curiosity never killed the cat," Chaeyoung said in reply and stuck out her tongue at me as she reached towards the little table with the remote on it, "Mind if I change it?"

"Not at all," I replied simply, it's not like I'd really pay attention to anything else other than her.

After an hour and eating what Mina made us, I departed from the living room and went back to the room I shared with Dahyun and Chaeyoung. I got into my bed and stared at the ceiling for a bit. Head empty, heart beating, verifying that I did exist before questioning why. I could feel my eyes getting heavy and the questions in my mind clearing as the world around me faded into darkness.

When I woke up, it was 6PM and I got up out of the bed and went to the kitchen to get some water. Jihyo was in there with multiple takeout menus as she was thinking about what we could have for dinner.

"Hey, Tzuyu," Jihyo started, "Should we have pizza or gimbap?"

"I don't really have a preference," I replied as I finished drinking and walked over to where she was standing and looked at all the menus.

"Ha ha, of course," Jihyo chuckled, "How was your day today? You had the whole day off right?"

"Yeah, it was okay, I guess," I said, I really didn't do anything at all, "Where are the others?"

"Nayeon and Jeongyeon were at the company doing some song writing related stuff," Jihyo answers, "Sana, Dahyun, Momo, Chaeyoung, and Mina are in our room playing Mafia."

"Ah, I see..." I sighed, I was asleep for two hours.

"Hey, Tzu, when are you going to tell Chaeng your feelings?" Jihyo asked out of the blue and I stepped away from her as if on instinct.

"I don't, I, what?" I sputtered nonsense as Jihyo chuckled.

"You're pretty obvious Tzuyu but it seems that you aren't obvious enough to Chaeyoung," She said in a matter-of-factly-tone.

"Yeah that's because she's only got eyes for Mina-Unnie," I sigh and Jihyo shrugs.

"I actually don't know who Mina likes but I know it isn't Chaeyoung," The smaller girl said as she neatly collected the menus and put them back in a pile.

"What?" I said, my head snapped to her direction.

"Yup, you should probably tell her your feelings, Tzu," Jihyo said, "If you won't do that...try to move on from her. Both can relieve that weight you probably feel all the time."

"How woul-" And as if God or the gods above just loved making me have a heart attack, Chaeyoung walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, did you decide on what to eat for dinner?" she asked us as she walked over to us and she rested her head on my shoulder, causing me to stiffen a little but I hope she didn't notice.

"Yeah, I'm going to order kimbap and bibimbap," Jihyo said as she opened a drawer and put all the menus inside.

"Having the baps tonight, huh?" I said and the other chuckled before Jihyo slowly nodded.

"I'm going to tell the others to get ready for dinner and then call Nayeon and Jeongyeon," Jihyo informed us, "Can you two order the food?"

We did as we were told and when we finished ordering there was silence but it wasn't awkward. Chaeyoung started up a conversation about an artist she recently discovered as I listened to her intently. The way she smiled and talked was just so cute, she was just so pretty.

How am I supposed to move on from someone like her? She's right here...but I can lose as much as I could gain. 

--------------------------------------

First ChaeTzu/ChaeYu story. I feel like Tzuyu and Chaeyoung's friendship and chemistry is pretty underrated. Everyone seems to overlook their moments :/