Ch. 8 - Exposing Secrets

I couldn't sleep that night. I could tell something was wrong with Shinso, but I didn't know what to do. Part of me wanted to go knock on his door, but I knew that was a bad idea, especially if he was tired like he said he was. 

Instead of sitting in my room I went down to the common area. Trying to be as quiet as possible, I turned on the tea kettle and waited on one of the couches. 

I was absolutely exhausted, but I just couldn't fall asleep. My mind kept replaying the earlier events and I couldn't help but wonder if he was upset with me and how easily he beat me in every fight because of how thrown off I was. 

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard footsteps entering the room. "Michiru?"

Startled a bit, I spun around to see Shinso looking tired and confused.

"Why are you up? Are you okay?" He asked me. 

I nodded and pointed to the tea kettle, which was steaming. 'You want a cup?'

He rubbed his eyes and squinted as if trying to read my hands. "If you asked if I wanted a cup, then yes. If you said something else, I have no idea what you said."

I smiled and put two teabags in some cups and poured the water in before turning off the stove and handing him his cup. I went back to the couch and sat down and he quietly sat at the other end of the couch.

I picked up my phone and sent him a text. 

Me: Why are you up?

Hitoshi-Kun: Can't sleep. You?

Me: Same. Can I ask you something?

Hitoshi-Kun: of course.

Me: are you mad at me?

Then instead of answering via text he startled me a bit by speaking out loud. "Why would I be mad at you Michi?"

I didn't look up at him and typed my response anxiously. 

Me: after we got back you seemed annoyed… I thought maybe I upset you because I was so weak today. 

"Hey, I'm not upset. I'm really proud of what you did today actually." His voice was soft.

Me: then why did you seem so out of it when we got back? You said you were going to go to bed, but it looks like you haven't slept…

Then he got quiet again and started texting me. 

Hitoshi-kun: I know. I'm sorry.

Me: what's going on? You can talk to me…

Hitoshi-Kun: Can I ask you a question this time?

Me: yes, always.

Hitoshi-Kun: Are you sure there's nothing between you and Bakugo? 

I had to stop myself from laughing out loud.

Me: omg, is that what this is about?

Hitoshi-Kun: You two just look so in love and have so much history together.

Me: Hitoshi. Oh my gosh no. I'm gonna gag.

He didn't answer, instead he just crossed his arms uncomfortably and stared at me. 

I sighed and sent another text.

Me: I promise. There is absolutely nothing between us.

Then he responded to me, and his voice was so sad I nearly cried myself. "Maybe you don't think there's anything between you, but I think you two are lying to yourselves."