Happiness

Wei Ying was not too sure what to think when Lan Zhan escorted him out of the Cloud Recesses. He wanted to think that he was happy for the chance to leave, but honestly he was rather concerned that....well it did not matter either way. He would keep his reservations to his own self. It was the most that he could do after all. He did not want to dash the two Jade's attempts to make him feel better and he knew full well that was exactly what they were. Mayhaps they were worried that he had not put up too much of a fight, or any at all. They probably were of the belief that he would rush out of the Cloud Recesses the moment he had a decent enough plan in which to manage it. 

In all actuality, Wei Ying was not really sure what he wanted. He was more than content to simply stay within the barrier. He...well he did not really want to assess that feeling much further, knowing it would lead to some unnecessary conclusions. He would just go with Lan Zhan. After all, the other had done this with him in mind, wanting to make him feel at home. It was more kindness then he would ever hope to receive and the fact that Lan Qiren had also allowed it and signed off on it...how could he not without seeming horribly ungrateful for the kindness that they had shown his thus far?

So he walked with Lan Zhan, pushing his fears to the side, realizing that Lan Zhan would definitely protect him in any case. Furthermore, the likelihood that Xue Yang would search him out was incredibly small. More then that. Even if he had attempted to do so, it was stupid on his part to try and take him in the midst of Lan territory. That was of course assuming that he would find him. So he would relax on this time that he was allowed outside the Cloud Recesses. 

They were under the careful eye of Lan XiChen as Wei Ying began to visibly relax more and more. The closer that they got to Caiyi town, It was something that Lan Zhan was beyond overjoyed to see, as he knew that the other had been having reservations of leaving the Cloud Rescesses, for reasons unknown to him, though he knew it would definitely not be appropriate to ask him what it was that he was worried over. 

He had a feeling that perhaps it had something to do with the thing that he was trying to avoid telling them. Perhaps he thought that they would judge him for it, perhaps it was something more or in addition to that. Whatever it was Wei Ying was anxious. The best that Lan Zhan could think of to do is try and embrace Wei Ying's joys. He knew that the other liked Caiyi town, though for reasons Lan Zhan had no idea. It was filled with tons of people and far too loud for his liking. Then again that may be the exact reason that he liked it. 

He also knew that Wei Ying had wanted to bring him here for a while, but, with the issues caused by the Waterborne Abyss, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying had not truly gotten to go through Caiyi like he had wished. Lan ZHan was determined to mend such a thing, and as such he had decided to take him here. He knew that it was risky. It was why he had asked XiChen, who had agreed almost instantly to come with to ensure that everything was okay, knowing that it was still risky to allow him to wander about alone. 

While they both knew Lan Zhan would likely be able to handle any who dared get too close, and knowing most would likely make way for him given their unnatural fear over Lan Zhan, XiChen was still worried. Given that Wei Ying had made no attempts to deny XiChen the joys of coming with them, he assumed it was perfectly find to enjoy the day with them. 

To see Wei Ying so lively, in a way that he had not been...truly been...was refreshing. It restored in XiChen a sort of hope that perhaps all of the torment that he had suffered had not caused him to be entirely lost to them. Maybe...maybe there was a possibility of getting him to heal, perhaps not all of the way, he had buffered so much, some of which they did not even know, but maybe just enough.

Wei Ying tugged on Lan Zhan's sleeves, gently pulling the boy forwards into the bustling traffic within CaiYi town. He rushed from stall to stall, pulling Lan Zhan along with him. Lan Zhan did not complain, letting Wei Ying drag him wherever it was that the younger boy wished to go with him, letting him slowly begin chattering softly to him. 

It was a start. Perhaps it was not the best and most vibrant Wei Ying that Lan Zhan had seen, or that XiChen had seen. There was still a stark contrast. Wei Ying did not dare move but a few feet from Lan Zhan, he did not grab his wrist and pull him as he would have before, merely tugging the edges of his sleeves. He did not lift his voice above a whisper, and he avoided going to places that were too busy, risking loosing Lan Zhan in the processes, instead sticking to the vendors that were less busy. 

Despite it all, it was better then the nighttime screams, and the lethargy, and the fear that he showed going anywhere. Wei Ying had pretty much holed himself up, not leaving for anything, barely eating. It was rare to see him so happy, and rare to see the spark lift in his eyes as it was at this current moment. 

Which was really the entire point of this trip. XiChen knew that it would not do much, knew that Wei Ying would likely revert back when they entered the Cloud Recesses again, but for now all he needed was to see the joy in the boy's eyes, and the small, ever slight, smile that his little brother gave Wei Ying, and the way the two gently maneuvered their way through the town.

He would protect this...with all that he was. If anyone deserved this sort of fragile happiness, this fragile peace, it was his little brother, and the one that Lan Zhan was infatuated with.