Part 11

Lan Zhan was not entirely oblivious either. Lan XiChen had seen the same things, but he did not really know Wei Ying as well as Lan Zhan did, and knowing that Wei Ying was sticking to the less occupied vendor areas out of a preference...well..it was rather concerning to him. Wei Ying used to be the center of attention, but now it was far different. He shoved himself so close to Lan Zhan that he faded into the background. He refused to move away from him when before he would bound ahead and look back excitedly and call him over. This Wei Ying was a lot more...scared. 

Yet that would not stop Lan Zhan. Wei YIng was still Wei YIng, and he would love him no matter what sort of person he had become. Wei Ying was a person that still shone brightly, though perhaps that light had diminished some, and had become less bright around other people, he was still the same. Lan Zhan would ensure that he felt safe with him. It was the best that he could do after all, and it had officially become his mission after figuring out what had happened to Wei Ying, after knowing that he left some of the darker parts of the tale that he wove from them. He would ensure that Wei Ying was cared for, looked after, and he would fight anyone who would dare try and take him from him. 

He had lost Wei Ying once, and he refused to be allowed to loose him again. He would fight to the ends of the world, fight the entire universe if anyone thought that Wei Ying was allowed to leave again. It was not...just not to be done. Perhaps it was a bit of a too overprotective mindset, he knew that it was problematic. His father had thought a similar thing. Then again, he was not his father, and he would not make the same mistakes that his father had. He would be far more careful, and he would never really be able to force himself to lock Wei Ying away. That would not do anyone any good. Certainly not Wei Ying, who enjoyed the freedom of life. He was shocked enough that he had agreed to come to Gusu with them. 

He was excited at the chance though. He knew that Wei Ying had changed, but this Wei Ying, Lan Zhan would get to know him just as well, and he would work on not being so...so...inaccessable. He wanted Wei Ying to be able to depend on him if he needed him. To talk to him if he needed or if he worried about something. To be Wei Ying's rock when Wei Ying was falling, and to be that steady ground for him. 

"Would Wei Ying like to eat?" Lan Zhan asked, suddenly, turning to look at the younger one, staring at him carefully, knowing that sometimes Wei Ying sort of had a tendency to brush off what he wanted, and seeing that similar response headed upon the tip of his lips, Lan ZHan decided upon adding the last bit a little hasty and rushed, something that did not fail XiChen's notice. "I...am a little hungry. Wish to eat, with Wei Ying." Wei Ying smiled. "But only if Wei Ying wants." He stated, firm. He would not force Wei Ying to do something that he was uncomfortable with. That would go exactly against everything that he was trying to do. 

"Of course I would love to eat with Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying said softly, still, that excitement gleamed in his eyes, glittering and Lan Zhan could not help but be happy that he had managed to put that look within the eyes of him once more. Even if it was only for a little while. "Where does Lan Zhan want to go?" 

Lan Zhan shot his brother a glare as the elder began to speak, silencing him quickly. XiChen could not really help but smile at the look. It would seem his little brother was a sly little one now. Being able to convince someone such as Wei Ying to eat without much of an effort. XiChen knew how important Lan Zhan was to Wei Ying, and likewise.

"I...do not really know. Where would Wei Ying suggest? Want to try something Wei Ying likes." The other boy gave a brilliant smile, eyes bright and gentle as he jumped on the tips of his feet, fingers still curled into the sleeve of Lan Zhan's robes, so happy. So...childlike. It was adorable in Lan Zhan's eyes. 

He swiftly removed the grip from his robes, but quickly, and a bit bashfully, entwined their fingers together, stubbornly not looking at his brother as he did so. It was...after all, definitely not something that was...typically looked well on, but he was not going to allow such an opportunity to pass by him. He usually would, but the temptation was too strong, and he was but a human. 

"Does...Does Wei Ying have somewhere in mind?" Lan XiChen asked, clearing his throat, and not allowing him to comment anything on the fact that his brother decided he wanted to hold hands with his future lover. Uncle would definitely not be happy, they were in public, in CaiYi after all, but he was not his uncle, and who was he to truly begrudge his baby brother this? Especially since he had never shown any interest in anyone before? He still cursed himself for the stutter at the beginning. 

Wei Ying looked to be deep in thought, contemplating the various places that he had visited while with Nie Huaisang, wondering. He did not want to overwhelm the Lan brothers. He knew the food that the Cloud Recesses offered, and it was not exactly very spicy, it was rather bland. Which, he did not mind...at least, not anymore. Not since...then. Even still he did not want to make it obvious that he was choosing something that highlighted the preferences that aligned more with the Lan style of cooking. 

A thought came through his mind, and he gave Lan Zhan a bright smile with wide eyes. 

"I know the perfect place actually! Nie Huaisang and I came over here!" XiChen noticed the slightly longing way that the look in his eyes got before he shook it off. He wondered if perhaps he could convince Nie Mingjue to allow Huaisang to visit the Cloud Recesses for a little while. It would definitely do Wei Ying some good to have other people he knows and likes around. Not to mention perhaps Lan ZHan would be able to get another friend, which he would certainly not be opposed to.