You're My Star

Childhood | Maddie doesn't know what's wrong with her son. Until she finds out something interesting one day... 

A/N: A little bit of fluff in this chapter!! The last few chapters were a bit angsty lol so I wanted something to lighten the mood :)) 

~~~

The little toddler looked up to his mother, grinning at the smell of chocolate cake.

"Mommy! I want to eat!" he ran towards the oven where the cake was still being baked, clapping his hands in excitement.

"You have to be patient, Danny. Just wait 5 more minutes," the woman cooed, ruffling the untamed dark locks on the boy's head.

Danny pouted and sat on one of the kitchen chairs, his shoulders slouched in a disappointed manner while his tiny legs dangled from the side. "That's too long."

"I know sweetie. But in the meantime, I have a little gift for you," Maddie smiled.

"A gift? For me?" the boy's blue orbs lit up once again in excitement, leaning on the table. He waited in anticipation for his mother to show him the surprise, wondering what it could be. Was it a car? A spaceship? Maybe he's going to Mars!

The mother walked over to her son and bent down to face him. She reached into her pocket and took out what seemed to be a keychain.

Danny took the small item, scanning through it. "A star?"

"It sure is. This one little star is in a galaxy full of them," she pointed to it in the middle. "But you can see this one is special." She cupped the keychain with her hands, allowing for only a little bit of light to pass through for the boy to look in. "And it sparkles the brightest."

"Woah," the toddler took the fascinating item in his hands and smiled brightly. "It glows in the dark!"

"Yes, it does. Now Danny, I want you to promise me one thing," she took the little boy's hand in her own and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I want you to promise me that whatever happens, you don't lose it. This keychain is very important to me, a unique one that's been passed down in my family for a while. Keep it attached to you at all times."

The boy nodded, now with a determined look. "I promise. I will keep it safe with me."

"Good boy, " she smiled and ruffled his hair. "Now, show me your belt so I can clip it on."

Danny giggled. "Mommy, I don't wear a belt!"

~~~ Present ~~~

Maddie decided to go on ghost patrol this evening. She had been feeling down lately and just wanted some time for herself. That's why she didn't bring her husband with her, no matter how much he'd insisted. She needed to think about her problems alone.

She was worried for her son; Danny. He was slacking a lot in class and skipping lessons, and she was growing more and more worried for him. She had considered grounding him like she had usually done in the past but then she came to realize that it wasn't going to solve anything. If there was something they needed, it was a mother-son talk. And she needed him to come and talk to her himself. 

It was recently that she started noticing the cuts and bruise marks on his face and how they would somehow disappear in less than an hour. She didn't know how she could've missed that before, and it made her feel guilty. They weren't close anymore like in the past when he was a little kid. She knew her baby boy was now a teen and didn't need her guidance or protection anymore, but that didn't mean she would leave him be. No, no matter how old he becomes to be, she was going to stay by his side, until the very last day.