28 | The Truth

Everything stops immediately in place. Not even the sounds of the soft breeze blowing in my direction to the tiny chirps from the birds flying over our heads. No one moves. No one dares to make any kind of movement. All that is heard is the rushing heartbeat beating as fast as it can inside of me.

I stare at Leila with wide eyes an open mouth frozen in place. She looks back at me with the same expression but as if sheds regretting what she just said.

I'm hesitant to say anything because I don't know what to say.

What does she mean? No more like what does this mean?

"No." I slip out in a stern voice while standing up from the picnic shaking my head.

"No No No." I keep repeating to myself pacing back and forth next to Leila whos still sitting on the blanket trying to calm me down.

"Millie look at me please." I stop in my tracks looking down at the ground slowly meeting my eyes with hers

"Millie I told you it would change everything. I told you I shouldn't be the one to say anything!" She begins taking deep breathes steadying her breathing looking like she's on the verge of tears.

I walk back over to her sitting on the blanket next to her.

"I just need to talk to him. This doesn't mean what I think it means..right?" I stare at her waiting for a reply but she just looks away not saying anything.

"Right Leila. Tell me I'm right." Leila starts to look my way staring down at the ground

"Millie...think about it." No I'm not hearing this right now. It's not true. It can't be true.

"It's can't be true. Why wouldn't you say something sooner than if it was?!" I stand up again but frozen in place looking down at Leila which only causes her to stand up to.

"I didn't know before! I swore you did it because you had to have but then you showed me the note then I realized you really didn't know what happened to Lucas so I knew it couldn't have been you so I did a lot of thinking putting all the clues together and I figured out the conclusion of the other person it could've been." Conclusion? My head is spinning. Everything I knew before has been a lie.

"My brother is not a killer!" A pit of anger courses through me. "My brother would not hurt a fly! My brother wouldn't stab anyone!"

"Stab? Why would you mention stabbing?"

"It's doesn't matter! The point is my brother is not a killer!"

"Millie he's the only other person who it could've been. He's the only person other person Lucas would've seen that night."

"Just say it." Saying suddenly Leila looks at me with confusion

"Say what?"

"Just say Lucas and Kyle were having a secret affair. I just need to hear it." I start fiddling with my finger nails

"Lucas and Kyle were having a secret..affair" She let's out softly just below her breathe.

My brother and my ex boyfriend may have been a thing but that doesn't mean my brother did anything to him. There's no way. My brother is and never will be a killer.

We sit in silence for a few minutes processing everything around us.

"Why did you swore I did it?" I speak up while Leila starts cleaning up the picnic by gathering all the food and snacks and bundling them into the basket.

"That night at prom Lucas was talking to um..Kyle and I by the punch bowl" She closes her eyes while saying the last sentence acting like she got stung by saying the name Kyle.