Chapter Ten

"Ugh, look at what Caitlin just texted me," Bree says, annoyance creeping into her voice. She shoves her phone above the book I am currently reading, and I sigh. I scan the messages between her and Caitlin, not really caring about what they are talking about. "She's gloating that she got back together with her lousy boyfriend and telling me that I could never get a guy like him."

Ever since Bree got home from school about ten minutes ago, she's been furiously texting Caitlin about this topic. I've been hearing her mutter about how unfair it is that Caitlin has a boyfriend and she doesn't, and it's been getting on my nerves. Doesn't she know that she doesn't need a boyfriend to make her feel good? I mean, I know that she has some hard feelings about her brothers and Davenport, but that should deter her away from guys, not bring her closer to them.

"Boys aren't all that good," I say to her after she takes her phone back and begins tapping out a message to Caitlin. "Trust me, they don't want what's best for you at all."

"Oh, I know." She shuts her phone off, dropping it on her lap. Bree tucks her left leg underneath her as she faces me. "It's just a little upsetting that absolutely no guys at school like me."

I wave my hand with a shrug. "I don't let that bother me because I don't need a guy to tell me my worth. I already know that I'm the smartest girl alive."

Bree laughs. Since it looks like she won't stop talking to me, I put my bookmark in my book with a soft sigh. "You sound like Chase," she says. "He's always saying that he's the smartest kid alive."

"I am nothing like Chase."

"Whoa, that tone sounds terrifying," Bree says, her eyes wide. "I know you don't like him at all, but it sounds like you're going to kill him."

"No offense, but he's the worst."

"None taken." She leans her head back on the couch, her brown eyes cloudy. "They're all the worst."

"Have they not apologized for ruining your day with Davenport?" She shakes her head, and I sigh. Placing my hand on her shoulder, I say with all sincerity, "Boys suck. Don't let them hold this over you nor allow them to have the satisfaction of hurting you."

"It sounds like this has happened to you before," Bree says, frowning. "You sound older than you are. How old are you anyway?"

"I'm turned fifteen a few months ago." I shrug, taking my hand back. I discreetly wipe it on my skirt before setting it in my lap. "I feel older than I am, probably since I'm --"

"Smart, right," she says, laughing. "I'm older than you. Chase is about the same age as you, though he just turned fifteen a couple weeks ago. Adam is older than us both, but not by much. You obviously know Leo's the youngest."

"Yeah." I grin and lean close. "I love being older than Chase. It makes me superior." Bree laughs again just as Davenport walks into the room. He looks very distracted, and immediately heads to his desk. Bree stiffens next to me, so I throw her a smile. "Does Chase like being the youngest out of you three?"

"I think he hates it," she whispers, her eyes sparkling. She has her back to Davenport, probably ignoring him for what he did -- or didn't do -- with her. "Adam loves to pick on him since Chase is scrawny and not athletic."

"Good for him," I say with a laugh. Her phone buzzes on the couch in between us. She stares at it for a second before looking back up at me. "Are you going to check that?"

"No." Bree shakes her head. "I'm done talking to Caitlin now."

"You're such a great friend."

"I am, aren't I?" The two of us laugh together. It feels good to laugh with a girl my own age, who actually cares about me and not my grades or my brains. "Hey," she says suddenly. Her eyes are bright as if she has a great idea. "How would you like to play laser tag with us on Saturday?"