Chapter Twenty Eight

Adam, Bree, Chase, and Leo have to break their promise of never leaving me alone because they have to go to school. I'm glad they have to go to school, though. At least one of them has been with me at all times. Bree has even moved her capsule to my room so she can be with me through the night. I hate it. 

I've always been alone. That's how I have lived my life for about fifteen years now. The only person I really rely on is Mom. That's the only person I want to rely on. But these people are forcing me to rely on them. I guess it's for the better, but I don't like it. I don't have to like it. However, I do appreciate what they are doing for me. It shows that they care about me. They just care about me a little too much.

Now that they are all at school, I have to stay with Tasha and Davenport. I can't leave their eye-sight at all. We've been watching movies all day together. Davenport has been choosing the movies, though, and they're all homemade documentaries about him and his "interesting" life and Davenport Industries. 

I wish I could be like Tasha and fall asleep, but I can't. One, I can't sleep during the day because it's too bright outside. Two, I haven't been able to sleep for a few days. If I do, I have nightmares about my mom, so I decided to just stay up until we get her back. That way, I can spend twenty four hours every single day trying to figure out where she's at.

The current movie we are watching suddenly pauses, so I tear my blurry eyes away from it to look at Davenport. He's standing in front of the couch, setting the remote down on the arm of it. Tasha is curled up in the corner while I'm sitting in the other corner.

"What are you doing?" I ask him softly.

"I have to go to the bathroom," he says with a nod. "I've had to go for a while, but I didn't want to because of how good these movies are."

"I didn't ask for that much detail."

Davenport gives me a scathing look. I offer him a quick smile. "Don't you dare move a muscle while I'm gone," he says, pointing at me. I roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. "If anything happens, scream."

"Sure." He continues to stare at me, and I sigh in defeat. "Okay, Davenport. Fine. I won't move. I will scream. Is that all?"

Davenport's eyes soften. "Look, Emmie, we're only doing this because we want to keep you safe. You're very important to all of us."

I look at my hands with another sigh. The skin around my fingernails is red and jagged. I guess I've been picking my nails and the cuticles too much. "I know," I whisper. "I know you guys do."

"We only want what's best for you."

"I know."

"Good."

When I look back up, he's gone. I let out a breath and stand up, stretching my arms above my head. Yes, I'm moving, but I doubt he'll care since I'm just stretching. Something from my sweatshirt pocket tumbles to the ground as I stretch. I frown slightly when I realize it's the phone number that I wrote down last night. On the back side is the address of the new house that Davenport acquired the other day from their awful neighbors. 

An idea slowly forms in my head as I stare down at the piece of paper on the ground. Before I can talk myself out of it, I grab the piece of paper and my phone and sprint toward the door. I quickly throw it open, stepping outside into the hot air. The door shuts softly behind me, but I don't waste time in worrying about if Tasha or Davenport saw me leave. I race down the driveway and up the other one that's right next to ours. This one leads to Davenport's new house, I know it does.

Since they have been so busy, Davenport hasn't even checked out the house yet. All of them hasn't left my side yet, so none of them has gone to the new house yet, which is good for me. I want it to be exactly like it was before, with construction and all. That way, I can see what their old neighbors were talking about when they said they noticed something strange in their house.