Chapter Nineteen

"Are you sure I can come down to the Lab?" I whisper to Bree and Adam. My eyes dart around the living room as we walk to toward the elevator. "Where's Chase, Davenport, and Leo? I thought they would be in the Lab because that's literally where you guys are all the time."

"We've discussed this with Chase and Leo," Bree says as the elevator doors open, "and they have agreed to re-explain it to you." 

I stand in between the two of them and watch as the doors shut in front of us. "We haven't told them that you already know, so don't say anything about it," Adam says, nodding. "Unless you do tell them. You do you, Emmie."

"That doesn't help me," I say, laughing nervously. I don't know why I'm so nervous about this. I already know everything, but maybe it's because Leo and Chase are re-telling it to me. "I'll just go along with whatever they say. I won't tell them that I know."

The elevator slows to a stop, the doors opening. Leo and Chase are standing there, though Chase is the only one smiling. "Welcome to the Lab," he says, sweeping his arm behind him. I pretend like I'm surprised as I step into the room, but I've never been a very good actress. "I don't know if Bree or Adam told you anything on the ride down, but we are bionic humans genetically engineered to be better than the average human."

"Wow," I say, widening my eyes. "This place is cool."

"You've already been down here, haven't you?" Chase asks, so I drop the surprised look off of my face. He spins around, pointing at his siblings. "Which one of you told her?"

"Honestly, probably both of them," Leo comments, rolling his eyes. He slides into a bar seat at the table in the middle of the room, shaking his head. "Did I get it right?"

"Technically, yes," I say, grimacing. "Bree and I lied to all of you that one day you found us in here. She didn't wipe my memories, and we've been trying to find my mom and Tasha ever since. Adam decided he wanted me to know a couple of days ago, but we haven't done anything together down here."

"Yet," Adam says, winking at me. 

"Ugh, gross," Bree says, staring straight at me. "She doesn't like you like that, Adam." She raises an eyebrow, and I notice that she has a funny look behind her eyes. "Right?"

I don't show her how she's affecting me. "Right." Turning around, I see the computer I've been spending my time at. Grabbing the pad of paper, I point to the phone number written down. Before I can say anything, the elevator makes a noise. "Does Davenport know that I know?"

"No," Chase says, running over to the elevator. He places a hand at his temple and then lets out a sigh. "He's coming. Emmie, you have to hide!"

Bree grabs my arm and drags me over to one of their capsules. "I'm sorry you have to do this," she says before shoving me into it. She begins to shut the door on the capsule while saying, "Hold your breath!"

I frown at her, and then the smell hits me. I gag slightly as the smell of dirty socks, wet dog, and cow manure wafts over to me. This must be Adam's capsule; I know the other two wouldn't smell like this. I pull my shirt up over my nose and mouth as my stomach starts to whirl around.

Adam stands in front of me, blocking me from view of Davenport. I make sure that my arms and legs are directly behind him so that I'm not poking out. I'm much darker than the see-through capsules, and I really don't want Davenport to see me in here. Otherwise, we'd all be in trouble, and I don't want the others to get in trouble just because of me. 

It feels like it takes forever for Davenport to leave. Finally, Adam turns around and swings the door open. I can't get out of the capsule quick enough. Sucking in deep breaths of the sweet air, I say, "Adam, why does it smell so bad in there?"

"That isn't bad," Adam says, shaking his head. "That's my manly musk."

"Yeah, no, it's disgusting. Like, I'm about to vomit because of how gross it was in there."

"You just have a weak stomach," Adam says. He looks down at me while crossing his arms over his chest. "There's no way you could survive in it overnight."

"No, I couldn't."

"Are you two done?" Chase asks. I look over at him to see a blank look on his face.

"Yeah."

"Man," Leo complains, dropping his head back, "this stinks."

"What stinks?" I ask, heading back toward Bree. I stand next to her, glancing back at Adam. "Well, besides Adam's capsule."

"Mr. Davenport is making us do things with him instead of allowing us to do things we want to do." Bree lays her head on my shoulder, sighing sadly. "Why do we always have to do what he wants us to do?"

"Weren't you listening?" Adam asks, his voice quiet. His eyes flickers around and says, "The man is king!"

"Hey!" Leo says excitedly. He hops up from the chair, a triumphant look on his face. "Maybe you guys should do what those hotel workers downtown did. You know, strike."

Adam says something and then hits Chase on the shoulder. "Ow! What was that for?"

"Leo said strike."

"Yeah, that's not what he meant," I say, taking my shoulder away from Bree. I glance at Chase to make sure he's alright before saying, "Going on a strike means when employees refuse to work until they get better working conditions. If you all go on strike, you might convince Davenport to give you a day off."

"Hey, that's a great idea," Chase says, smiling at me. "Also, if we go on strike, I'm sure Mr. Davenport will leave us alone, so we can look for Tasha and Zoe."

"Adam, Leo, you two make signs," Bree says, grabbing onto my arm. "Emmie, Chase, and I will search for more clues."

"But --" Leo says, but Bree shushes him. His face falls, and he says, "Right. Fine. I'll make freaking signs with Adam." Leo pushes Adam toward the other end of the lab, so I turn my gaze to Chase and Bree. 

"We found something," I say, reaching into my pocket. I pull out the piece of paper from yesterday, smoothing it out against the table. I stare at the name of the girl whose phone was stolen, the one that was used to call Davenport. "Since you're bionic, Chase, maybe you can find her?"

"And then we can visit her," Leo calls out, his voice echoing around us. "We can question her."

"Exactly," I say, nodding. I don't look over at Leo, though. I watch as Chase touches his temple, his left eye turning blue. A holographic screen shoots from his eye, and I see a picture of the girl, Ainsley Stabler. I don't recognize her, which means that she's probably older than I am. "Is this her?"

"Yeah." The holographic screen disappears as Chase drops his hand to the side, bringing the paper closer toward him. He snatches a pen and scribbles an address down. "Does tomorrow sound like a good day to check this lady out?"

"No!" Bree yells. "Tomorrow is Saturday, right?"

"Um, yes."

"I'm hanging out with Owen!"

Leaning back against the table, I cross my arms over my chest. "Would you rather hang out with your boyfriend or your best friend?" Raising an eyebrow, I stare at Bree. She glares at me, and I grin. "Choose wisely, Bree."

"We'll compromise. I'll hang out with Owen in the morning, and in the afternoon, we'll check out that lady."

"You better be ready," Chase says. "I'm going as well."

"I want to go!" Adam whines. "Leo and I feel all alone over here, and now you three are planning to go somewhere without us."

I quickly wave Leo and Adam over, a grin working its way onto my face. I have a plan, one that I think can work if everyone follows it. My plans are usually great, so I hope this will work perfectly. If it doesn't, I'll just have to follow Plan B and do this all by myself.