𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞

"Captain! What are your orders!" Petra yelled from behind me as the female titan smashed another Scout into a tree, making their body leave a trail of blood in its wake.

"We should take it out! Captain, give us the go," Gunther screamed. Everyone else was screaming at Levi in worry and anticipation, all while Eren was gawking at the Abnormal- well I shouldn't say Abnormal, it was a titan-shifter like Eren.

And I knew this of course because while training for the 57th Expedition Hanji, Eren, and I ran a bunch of tests, analyzing Eren and I's abilities. After a lot of trial and error, we discovered that Eren could hear my voice better than any regular person, but, I couldn't control him. my commands could reach him, but it didn't make him act on my own accord, he was fully in charge of his own actions. So, it was obvious that this Abnormal titan wasn't an actual titan, but someone who possessed the same powers as Eren.

"Captain! Your orders?!" Petra screamed again. I just stayed quiet and glared holes in the side of Levi's head from my place next to him. I didn't call out like the others. I trusted the short-stack, and if he wanted us to keep riding then I would do that, but he really should tell us his plan at the very least.

As if sensing my glare from next to him, Levi takes a glance over his shoulder. "Everyone covers your ears," he says to all of us in a monotone voice while bringing up his hand that held a pistol.

I moved both sides of my horse's reins to one of my hands then covered my ear closest to Levi with the other.

A loud boom echoed in the atmosphere, causing the female titan to stumble in her steps for a second.

I huff out a startled laugh, but a glare from Levi quickly silences it. He glances back at everyone with a blank look.

"Remind me, what is our mission? Is it to simply act on impulse in the heat of the moment?" He doesn't let anyone speak while he continues. "Let me answer that for you. It's not. This squad's mission is to keep this brat alive, whatever the cost. Don't forget it." And with that, the stoic shorty turns back on his saddle to face forward again.

"We keep pushing forward on horseback. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir!" I answer back with a smirk. He looks over to me with an eye-roll but I see the grateful look he tries to keep hidden in his eyes as if he was happy that I didn't doubt him at all for the entire time.

"We can't keep running forever, captain! She's right on top of us," Eren yells over the loud stomping of the female titan as she begins to grow closer and closer.

"We need to do something soon-" Eren cuts himself off when the female titan slams another two Scouts into a tree. "They're all going to die!" I somewhat agreed with Eren but that wasn't our job right now.

Levi doesn't answer back so I take the liberty to reply.

"We keep riding until Levi says so Eren," I say with a stern look over my shoulder.

"But we can go back and help them-"

"Eyes front, cadet! Stop looking behind us," Gunther yells at Eren.

"Seriously?!" Eren yells back. I don't even have to turn around on my saddle to see his shocked expression.

"Keep pace with the group! And maintain top speed, or we're dead!" Eld joins into the conversation with a command to Eren.

"Help them, please! Help them! If the Levi Squad can't help them and take the titan down, then who can?!"

I look towards Levi, expecting an explanation, but all I get is a discreet shake of his head.