Chapter Three

Tw: blood

Quinn Parker

"Let's just do it." I heard her say.

I turned to look at Charlotte, my brows furrowing at her in complete confusion. We stood in my empty kitchen, half drank beers in our hands.

I rolled my eyes and lifted the glass to my lips, tipped my head back and took a large sip of the bitter alcohol. I moved the back of my hand across my lips to wipe away the residue, giving her a stern look.

"You're crazy, you know that?" I laugh, moving forward to lean against the small island in the middle of the room. Charlotte dangled her legs over the side, sitting perched on the countertop instead of a stool.

I peered down at the empty scattered bottles of beer that we drank on the table. Her parents were out of town for the night and that meant we had a free house. We were celebrating tonight. Charlotte had received the news this afternoon that she had been given a spot at the University of Washington. She was going to study psychology. Fitting considering she had a natural knack for reading people.

"How am I crazy? I would move into campus in the spring, I want to try and do crazy things before I go." She said, my eyes still on the beer. I could see her legs swinging back and forth beside me from the corner of my eye.

I roll my eyes, lifting the beer to my lips once again. I really didn't like beer but Charlotte insisted on buying the stuff, so I'd drink it when I came here. "You're acting like I wouldn't come and visit you." I chuckle, swiping my tongue over my bottom lip to get rid of the remnants. 

"What's the worst that could happen, hm?" She asked.

I tore my eyes away from the beer bottle and looked up at her again. "Wha-"

Blood.

Blood dripping from her head to her toes.

Pooled below her dangling feet.

She was completely covered and her eyes white.

"What's the worst that could happen, Quinn?" She repeated, the whites of her eyes turning to a blazing orange.

"C-char-" I gasped, dropping the glass bottle to the floor in shock.  "N-no!"

The loud shattering sound of glass to floor tore me away from my dream.

"CHAR-!" I screamed, suddenly gasping for air. Shooting up into a sitting position, I lifted a hand to my chest immediately and felt my heart drumming so hard it could burst.

"J-just a dream...it was just a d-dream..." I mumbled, my voice cracking.

The nightmares have gotten progressively worse and worse over the past six months. It was always the same dream. The same words being asked by my late best friend, the same scene replaying over and over in my head.

They haunted me.

I lifted my hand to run through my now sweaty hair, breathing heavily as my heart continued to pound in my chest uncontrollably. My whole body had broken out in a full sweat and I hadn't realised how badly I was shaking. My chest felt heavy but empty all at the same time.

Looking around my bedroom, I let out a shaky breath and closed my eyes for a moment. Nothing seemed to help me, trust me when I say I've tried everything to rid myself of the night horrors that haunted my dreams. The nightmares were stuck to the very fabric of my soul at this point, that's how much of a reoccurrence they had become.