Chapter 5

If Ariel could turn back the hand of time, she would…unfortunately that was out of the question and unless a miracle happens she was stuck in the room with her parents, Joe Cheng and his parents. The room was filled with tense awkward silence. Ariel saw Mrs. Cheng glancing around the room, her eyes shifting between Joe and her. Ariel expected to see hatred and disgust in her eyes but surprisingly, Mrs. Cheng’s eyes were filled with curiosity and a hint of interest. Joe sat between his parents, his body still as a statue and his eyes frowning at Ariel. She felt his unwavering gaze and felt her face flush. Ariel clasped her hands together and lowered her eyes to avoid looking at Joe Cheng and his parents. 

“Mr…un Lin, thank you coming…” Director Cheng said tiredly. He turned toward Joe and asked,

“Do you know who she is?” Joe distracted momentarily by his father, nodded a frown still on his face, almost as if he was trying very hard to connect the dots. He knew something was wrong. 

“How did the two of you meet?” Mrs. Cheng asked her voice filled with curiosity. Joe glanced over at her, and Ariel lifted her head at the exact moment Joe glanced at her. Their eyes met and held. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Flash back~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ella! You know I don’t like going to parties, especially NOT to bonfire at the beach. Besides, Jiro is coming by my house tonight.” Ariel lied hoping that would persuade her friend but it was no use, Ella was determined to take Ariel out. 

“Ariel you’re lying. Jiro has basketball practice and I know you wouldn’t want him to go to your house anyway. Don’t you want to meet Wu Zun? Remember I told you about him a few weeks ago?” Ella asked with a pout. Ariel sighed and nodded briefly. She was curious about the mysterious Wu Zun. According to Ella, he was attending Taipei private school on a scholarship and was the smartest student in the school. Knowing her friend, Ella was probably exaggerating but she tends to exaggerate only when she really like somebody. 

“You like him a lot?” Ariel asked. Ella grinned from ear to ear and nodded eagerly. 

“Yes, but don’t you dare tell him I like him! Come on, you’re my best friend and I really really want you to meet him, please?” Ella pleaded her eyes begging Ariel to say yes. Ariel threw her hands up in the air in defeat. Ella jumped up and down and hugged Ariel tightly.

“I love you!” Ella shouted excitedly. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wu saw his friend leaning against the school old willow tree with a broken heart expression on his face. Wu rolled his eyes and muttered to himself, ‘Here we go again…” He walked up to Joe and asked

“Broke up with Tiffany again?” Joe nodded and shrugged.

“This time it’s for real or what?” Wu asked dumbfounded at his friend’s behavior when it comes to Tiffany. 

“I don’t know and I don’t care…she said she needed some space.” Joe sneered and kicked the tree.

“What did the old willow tree ever do to you? Why are you kicking it?” Wu asked. The question was so elementary, so like a five year old that the two of them started chuckling. 

“Ah…I remembered. You asked me the same question when we were younger too. How did I answer? Nothing, the old willow tree didn’t do anything to me…” Joe grinned; Wu always knew exactly what to say to distract him. 

“There’s a beach bonfire party tonight, why don’t you join me? You know get Tiffany out of your system” Wu said. 

“Yeah sure, I’ll meet you there.” Joe grinned slyly at Wu.