Chapter 23: Honeymoon

He grew up in a loving home with wonderful parents that taught him from the day he was born to be a gentleman. A man who keeps his promises and tries to do what is right in life especially when it comes to the women in his life. Joe tried to be a gentleman with Ariel, he begged her, he poured his heart open for her yet nothing seems to move her. He wanted Ariel to understand his love for her was real, it was for eternity…yet despite his confession, she ignored him. It was as if she was afraid to believe him, she had put up imaginary walls around her so secured that there seems to be no opening to her heart … he had no choice, he was left with only one alternative. 

Joe knew kidnapping was wrong, he knew forcing other people to do what is against their will is wrong…but he was desperate and didn’t care about being a gentleman anymore. Selfish…he was selfish and he wanted her, and damn it she was his wife! On the day of Ariel’s eighteenth birthday, Joe Cheng kidnapped his wife and took her to an undisclosed location, away from everybody…away from Jiro Wang who shamelessly visits his wife almost everyday since her release from the hospital three months ago.  

Jealousy...was an emotion Joe did not realize he was capable of feeling until he saw his wife with Jiro Wang. The smiles she so easily gives the other man, the twinkle in her eyes as she watches her friend play with HIS baby, his Hope. The anger he felt as she generously allows another man to hold her hand, yet she refused to let him near her. Joe felt as if his heart was ripped out by Ariel's hands and cut to shreds every time she showed him he was not needed, he was not wanted. He told her he loved her, he had put everything on the line, praying that she believed how sincere he was, praying that she would at least look at him with open eyes and realize how much she truly means to him. She did none of that. If it was possible, she was even more closed off than before.

Watching his wife sleep peacefully on the bed, Joe felt a momentary twinge of guilt. He held her hand and gently caressed her arm waiting for the sleeping pill to wears out. Joe watch intently as his wife stirred and slowly opens her eyes. She yanked her hand out of his and lifted her body up in a sitting position on the bed. Her eyes scanned the room and she turned to Joe with a frown on her face.

“Where am I?” 

“Honeymoon suite.” He answered with a grin. Ariel jumped off the bed and ran to the door and tried to open…it was locked.

“What’s going on?” She asked in frustration. Joe shrugged and laid his whole body on the bed yawning as if he was going to sleep. 

“We’re on our honeymoon.” 

Ariel wanted to wipe the smirk off Joe’s face. He was so nonchalant while she was hyperventilating! Honeymoon! Honeymoon! He must have gone crazy!

“Why are you doing this?” Ariel walked over to the window and looked down…they were on the top suite isolated from everybody.

“I wanted to be with you.” He answered. Ariel wanted to kick something in frustration, his answers were all short.

“Where’s Hope?” 

“With my mom and your mom. They wish us a very good honeymoon….with a brother or sister for Hope on the way.” 

Ariel turned around and glared at Joe. 

“You’re kidding me right? Why in the world….” 

Joe was beside her so fast it was almost inhuman how quick he was. His mouth covered hers leaving her no room to breath let alone talk. 

“We’re sharing the same bed from now on Ariel. I’m tired of playing your game with the separate bedrooms, no touching, no kissing…what the hell you’re my wife!” 

Again he was kissing her, he had her against the window and his hands…were touching her with such gentleness she almost cried. This is what I’m afraid of Joe…I’m afraid of loving you. Ariel closed her eyes; she didn’t want to look at him.

“I’m making you mine tonight, without liquor involve. I’m going to love every part of you until you have no choice but to concede that I LOVE YOU…Ariel… believe me, I love you.”  

Her heart was aching. Damn it! She was losing to him, dare she trusts him? Ariel tried so hard to act cold and uncaring around him, yet the more cold she became, the warmer he became. He smiled at her secretly across the dinner table, he left her love notes on her bedroom mirror, he changed Hope's diapers and cared for Hope through the night whileshe...the mother slept like a log from exhaustion. Ariel knew she loved Joe...even before she was released from the hospital. He was there every single day, supporting her, encouraging her, telling her stories about his childhood (some involved Tiffany), Hope's progress, his very presence was like her healing medicine. She knew then that the love she had for her friend, Jiro Wang was different from the love she has for Joe Cheng. The love she has for Joe was so powerful, she was afraid of it...afraid he would not accept her love once he finds out her secret, the truth about her.

He was unbuttoning her blouse; she could feel the wind softly caresses her bare skin as it breezed through the room. His trail of kisses was warm and left her aching for more, needing more. Ariel opened her eyes and gazed at Joe. It was time…it was time to tell him the truth…the ugly truth about her. Would he still love her after she confesses her fear? Her secret?