Chapter 6: The meeting

The sobbing grew louder and louder, Ariel wanted to tell whoever that was crying to put a cork in it, but she realized the crying was coming from her. Tears, endless tears streaming down her face, and painful wails coming from her throat…she couldn’t stop. Her brain was demanding her heart to stop crying, but her heart was in so much pain that it wouldn’t listen. Ariel balled her body and wrapped her arms around her knees. She didn’t like feeling so weak, so hopeless…but she was so emotionally drained she couldn’t control her emotions anymore. “You want to know how they met?” Mr. Lin snarled at Mrs. Cheng. He pointed at Joe and said,

“Ask your son how they met!”

Mrs. Cheng raised an eyebrow at her son. Joe shifted uncomfortably in his seat. The moment his eyes met Ariel’s he remembered everything…including the fact that she was a virgin the night they met. Maybe they were at his house demanding payment because he broke her virginity? If so, how much did they want? Joe groaned, hating himself for thinking that way.

He was at fault, she was obviously drunk that night but he…he didn’t stop. He couldn’t stop, he didn’t know if it was because he was overly intoxicated or because he needed, wanted her. Maybe it was a combination of both, he was broken hearted, lonely and she…she was a warm willing body. She was so beautiful that night, her feverish untutored kisses, her eagerness, her sweet scent…he didn’t even pondered the possibility that she was a virgin. By the time he realized she was…he had already…changed her. 

He closed his eyes and massaged his forehead, he felt a headache sneaking its way up his head. 

“We were introduced by mutual friends.” He said crisply without elaborating. 

Mr. Lin balled his fist and shook fiercely at Joe. 

“You did more than that! Do you know why we’re here tonight?” 

“No” Joe replied his forehead furrowed deep in thought, as if he was still trying to connect the puzzles. 

“You fucking knocked her up that’s why you snob!” Mr. Lin shouted and kicked the chair from underneath him. He rushed toward Joe and lifted him up by the collar. 

“That’s right pretty boy, you’ve made a big mistake…now what’re you gonna do about it?” Mr. Lin taunted his eyes glowering.

Joe’s face paled and he turned to his parents. Director Cheng and Mrs. Cheng stood up from their chairs. Director Cheng grabbed hold of Mr. Lin’s arm and said softly,

“Let go of my son.” 

Mr. Lin towered over the short, stubby director and dared the man to make him. Director Cheng cleared his throat and called,

“Guards” Within minutes, two tall well muscled guards walked in the room. They stood next to Mr. Lin and waited for the man to loosen his hold on the young master. Mr. Lin let go of Joe but remained standing. He turned toward Director Cheng and said,

“Let’s cut all this bullshit and get down to business. You know why I’m here, tell me how much you’re willing to pay.” 

“What are you doing?” Ariel asked her father, her face flush again in embarrassment. He glared at her and hissed,

“Shut the fuck up whore, I’m doing this for you!” 

“Do not use that kind of language in this house Mr. Lin, we are all adults here. Let’s sit down and have civilized conversations.” Mrs. Cheng said. She signaled the guardsman and they pushed Mr. Lin onto a nearby chair. 

“What do you mean how much?” Director Cheng asked. Mr. Lin laughed and said,

“How much are you willing to pay for an abortion and keeping our mouths shut? What? Are you going to offer marriage?” Mr. Lin laughed hysterically at his joke.

“Yes, I think marriage is the best option for the kids.” Mrs. Cheng said, her eyes never once leaving Mr. Lin’s. She wanted him to know she was serious. The gleeful, greedy look on Mr. Lin’s face suddenly disappears, in its place was anger. He shook his head and shouted,

“No! If you don’t pay me I’ll tell every newspaper in Taiwan what your son did! Fucking playboy probably knocked up all the girls in Taipei and getting away too! Fucking rich people think the world belongs to them! Well not this time! Not this time!” 

He stood up again and started thrashing everything in the room that was within his reach. 

“Stop…please stop embarrassing yourself…” Mrs. Lin pleaded softly, she shrunk her body as Mr. Lin grabbed her and smacked her across the face. The guards tackled Ariel’s father, after a few minutes of struggling they finally arm locked him and dragged him out the door. Director Cheng motioned for one of the guards and whispered in the guard’s ear.

“Take him to the police station for trespassing, destruction of property and assault.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ariel wanted the ground to open up and swallowed her whole. She wanted to disappear from thin air and never have to see the pitiful looks on Mrs. Cheng’s and Director Cheng’s face. With her mother sobbing in her arms, she raised her chin up and refused to apologize for her father’s behavior. She was sick and tired of always apologizing and cleaning up his mess… not anymore, she was too tired. She lifted her mother up gently and proceeded to walk out the door.

“Don’t go, a doctor is on his way.” Director Cheng said in a tired tone. 

“We don’t want charity.” Ariel said and continued walking towards the front door. 

“It’s not charity Ariel, please stay for your mother. Look at her.” Mrs. Cheng pleaded. Ariel sighed and wiped the tears from her mother’s eyes. She hesitated, it's been such a long time since her mother last seen a doctor…perhaps…

“It wouldn’t be charity if you pay for the doctor’s fee. You can pay in installments, your mom need a doctor tonight.” Joe said matter-of-factly.

“I’m sorry mom…” She whispered. Mrs. Lin shook her head and said softly,

“Ariel…I should be the one apologizing, I…I’m a failure…”

“Leave your mother with my mom…I need to talk to you, let’s go out.” Joe said firmly. He sat Mrs. Lin down and faced Ariel.

“Let’s go.” Ariel glanced at her mother, then Mrs. Cheng and Director Cheng. She sighed again, it was time to clear the air with Joe Cheng whether she wanted to or not. With a hand over her stomach, she followed Joe to his car. He opened the door for her and waited until she was seated. Within seconds, he put the car in the drive gear and they were off.