Chapter 18: Cage

The smell of toast and butter filled the kitchen. Joe placed the newly toasted breads on the table and watched the girl hungrily grabbed a handful of breads. Ariel liberally dipped her toast into a jar of butter. Joe frowned as Ariel then scooped a spoonful of strawberry jam and mixed it with the butter, and without hesitation took a huge bite. Joe felt nauseated watching her but he kept a smile on his face and tried eating the toast in front of him."I want peanut butter." 

Ariel pointed to the cabinet her mouth still filled with food. Joe opened the cabinet and took out a jar of peanut butter. Ariel immediately opened the lid and scooped a spoonful of peanut butter quickly mixing it with the strawberry jam and butter. She then rolled the toast up like a burrito and with her eyes closed she took a huge bite. 

"Yummy..." She said and took another bite.

"Hope must be really hungry?" Joe said, placing another toast on Ariel's plate. She smiled at him and nodded all the while eating non-stop. Joe watched her eat silently enjoying her little moments of happiness.

"I'm sorry about last night."

Joe shrugged and raised his hands up.

"Don't worry it doesn't hurt."

"Joe, I want to visit my mom today. Did you call the police about my dad?"

"Why don't we visit her another day? Mom just called she wanted to see you about the baby shower."

"I thought we agreed not to have a baby shower. I don't want to make parting difficult...for me and your family." 

Joe didn't answer. He stared at the table for a few seconds then stood up.

"Are you done eating?" He asked. Ariel nodded.

"It's been a while since we visited mom and dad, why don't we visit them first then your mom?"

Ariel grinned and nodded her head in agreement. She walked into the hallway to put her shoes on missing the relief in Joe's eyes as he took out his cell phone and dialed his parents's home phone.

~~~~~~~' 

Ariel loved the Cheng's garden. It was filled with beautiful flowers from all over the world. She especially like the smell of tiger lilies. She leaned over and smelled the flowers for the hundredth time loving the fade but sweet smelling aroma. She glanced over to the house and wondered what was happening. When she arrived at the home, Director Cheng and Mrs. Cheng was fussing over her. Mrs. Cheng especially had tears in her eyes as she hugged her tightly. Not long after that Tiffany Xu came unexpectedly to visit. She and Joe disappear into his bedroom.

"Hope, you naughty girl, people will think mommy's crazy. Do I have to eat the lilies? Can't we just smell it?"

She said as her mouth watered and she stared hungrily at the tiger lilies. Ariel debated over eating the flowers and did not notice the figure approaching her. 

"I need to talk to you."

Ariel looked up and saw Tiffany with her arms crossed, her eyes were red and puffy from crying.

"Are you okay?" She asked worried. Tiffany laughed sarcastically and shrugged.

"Would you be okay if your boyfriend got another girl pregnant?"

Ariel didn't answer.

"In this story...only you, the baby and Joe exist. Funny how I became the third wheel or is it the fourth wheel?" Tiffany laughed again.

Tiffany closed the distance between them and stared at the young girl's pregnant stomach.

"What are you talking about Tiffany?" Ariel asked not sure if she wanted to know the answer.