Untitled

"Do you stargaze, much, Obi-Wan?"

Obi-Wan blinked at the question, unexpectedly random, even for Anakin. 

The two of them were sitting just outside the perimeter of their encampment, covered by the dense forest and the thin layer of fog that permeated the night air. The men had built small fires because the sticks and plants didn't leave smoke as they burned, just heat and light. Yet another joint deployment to some mid-rim planet on the offshoot of some trade route that was, for whatever reason, essential to maintain control over. There had been no signs of Separatist activity yet, so the past few days have been like a group camping trip.

Obi-Wan briefly thought that just maybe, this planet would be okay without them. He banished the thought. It was irrational to think these thoughts during war.

"Some would say it's irrational to think, and leave it at that," he thought, as amused as he was wry. 

He turned his head to look at his counterpart, who was currently laying back on his elbows, head tilted up towards the sky. 

"I used to, on missions with Qui-Gon," the Jedi admitted, slowly, "I didn't appreciate it as much, then, because he would make me point out the similarities between the sky of Coruscant and the sky of the planet we were on. I think he was trying to show me that no matter where we were, we would always be under some of the same stars," he said, with a small, soft smile.

Anakin hummed. "I stargazed all the time, on Tatooine. I used to dream about visiting every planet in the galaxy, maybe even beyond. I always wondered about what could be hidden in the far reaches of space." He let out a short laugh, then. "I told myself that I would live up to my name. Skywalker. I would sail the stars and never settle down to one planet, forever wandering the skies."

"Well, you're certainly living up to it now, with all the traveling we've been doing," the auburn-haired man joked. 

The brunet just smiled softly in return. He sighed, then. "What do you think you'll do, after the war?" He turned to look at the man next to him, sky blue eyes searching those with a tinge of green.

Obi-Wan shrugged, looking back at the sky. "I'm not sure. I think I'd like to retire." He turned back around to face Anakin, who had let out a startled laugh, and frowned playfully. "Whatever could be so funny?"

"You? Retire? Please," Anakin replied, "You are the biggest workaholic I know, and I'm friends with Padme." He laughed again, shaking his head. "Between the two of you, I don't know how all of Coruscant's paperwork isn't done already." He looked up at the other man and grinned.

Rolling his eyes, Obi-Wan faced the sky yet again. "Yes, well, I do know how to rest on occasion. I can't imagine we could finish all of Coruscant's paperwork if we took time to rest."

Anakin turned on his side, then, propping his head up with his hand. "How've you been sleeping, recently?" he asked. He tilted his head slightly, before correcting himself. "Have you been sleeping, recently?"

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes yet again. "Shouldn't I be asking you that, dear one? When was the last time you actually slept without a stim crash, before this trip?"

The brunet flushed slightly, looking down, causing his hair to fall in front of his eyes. "It would've been two weeks three days ago," he answered, quietly. Jerking his head back up, he stared at the man across from him. "You avoided the question, Master."

He paused, hesitating as he tried to recount his sleeping history. "I think I had you beat, I was going on three," the auburn-haired Jedi stated, amusedly. 

"You need to take better care of yourself."

The ferocity of the statement took Obi-Wan off guard, whipping around to face Anakin again, who had taken the opportunity to make direct eye contact with the older man. 

"I mean it, Master, you can't keep running yourself into the ground like this. How are you supposed to serve the Republic if your blood is made of caf and stim shots?" the younger man argued. "I mean, I know I'm one to talk, but still. My point is still valid, whether you like it or not."

Obi-Wan laughed a deep, full belly laugh. He tipped his head back in mirth, shutting his eyes and grinning through it. Anakin flushed again, deeper this time, and scoffed.

"Oh, dear one," Obi-Wan started, "I can never predict you."