Sand

Obi-Wan and Anakin were childhood best friends. They were as close as two slave boys could get. Which was, evidently, very close. Anakin, being the younger of the two by a few years, was the one who formed grandiose plans of escape. Obi-Wan, being older and having both seen and experienced more hardships, entertained the fantasies, as he didn't want to be the one to break Anakin's heart, but took his words with a grain of salt, as anyone does with a child. Obi-Wan remembers how terrible his childhood was until he met Anakin and was determined to make sure the younger boy would never face what he did.

"I'm gonna travel the galaxy when I'm older. I'm gonna leave and come back to free all the slaves. You first, Obi-Wan! Then we can see every planet in the galaxy together!" an enthusiastic six-year-old Anakin exclaimed. Obi-Wan just laughed and smiled, shaking his head.

"Of course you will, Ani. I'd expect no less," he said fondly.

"You'd come with me, right, Obi?" Anakin asked, suddenly not sure of himself. Obi-Wan forced back a sigh.

"I'd follow you to the ends of the universe, Ani," he said, smiling fondly. Anakin cheered and they laugh and play around until the suns set. Obi-Wan walks Anakin home. Even though he's only ten, he still feels responsible for the young boy. His master isn't pleased when he returns to his quarters past sundown.

"I thought I told you no later than the suns' set, punk. What were you doing?" he asked sternly. Obi-Wan sighed.

"Nothing, master," he said. The man grew furious.

"You'll do kindly to tell me where you've been, slave. I bet it was that Skywalker boy. You don't seem to understand when I hit you, how about if I hit him instead?" he taunted. Obi-Wan's eyes grew wide with fear.

"No!" he shouted before realizing his mistake. His master laughed sourly.

"No? Are you, my slave, telling me no ?" he asked. Obi-Wan steeled himself, as much as a ten year old could, and stood his ground.

"You will not hurt Anakin," he said, quietly, staring at his master, who glared at the young boy in turn.

"What did you just say?" he asked. The young Obi-Wan gulped but hardened his gaze.

"You will not hurt Anakin," he repeated, this time forcefully and glaring right back at his master. His eyes seemed to glaze over as he slowly nodded.

"I will not hurt Anakin," his master repeated, walking away. Obi-Wan's eyes widened again, before he shook his head and quickly went to his room and to sleep.

"At least Ani's master is kinder than mine,"  he thought, drifting off to sleep.

Three years pass and Obi-Wan is sold to someone else, who is thankfully nicer than his previous master. Anakin is now nine and is still owned by Watto, the owner of the junk shop, as him and Anakin have come to call it. Obi-Wan is with Anakin in the shop when he hears Watto speaking with a man. He ignores this when he sees a lady walk in the shop.

"Are you an angel?" he hears Anakin ask. She laughed softly.

"What?" she asked, confused. Anakin continued to explain his tale of the angels of Iego, when Obi-Wan frowns.

"I told him that story,"  Obi-Wan thought, suddenly feeling jealous of this mystery lady. Anakin was clearly infatuated with her. He felt a little betrayed. The rest of the day, he was pretty distant. The man spoke of the Jedi and Anakin was enthralled. Obi-Wan wasn't as trusting as his younger companion.

"Why are you so interested in Ani?" he asked the man, Qui-Gon. He turned around and looked at Obi-Wan, the teenager having crossed his arms and giving the man a firm glare.