Unfinished

Looking back on it, Obi-Wan was right.

Okay, Obi-Wan was often right when Anakin took the time to look back on things, but it's not like he would ever admit it. He could be talking about a number of things throughout his life with that opening statement.

This time, Obi-Wan was right about the Chancellor.

"Learn the power of the Dark Side, only then will you be able to save your wife," or some other sinister and pretentious statement fell out of the Chancellor's mouth like the most vile pool of saliva from the mouth of a hyena salivating over the dead. 

Maybe he had been reading too much, but that was the only thing Anakin could think of while the Chancellor talked. He had seen the curious Akk-Dog looking creatures on a mission to a dry planet in the Outer Rim, drooling over the corpses of civilians and his men alike. He had been thoroughly disgusted and barely resisted cutting them down like the animals they were.

(barely restrained guilt from a desert scene long ago, though not that long. slicing bodies like animals, burnt flesh, cries and screams that still tormented him to this day. he took another look at the pack of wild dogs and turned away. rex didn't ask why his general was so upset as he nearly stomped back to camp with barely a nod in the captain's direction)

He felt a little guilty comparing an old friend to one of those disgusting creatures, but the image of Palpatine as a hyena wouldn't leave his head.

Speak of the devil, Palpatine was now just staring at the young Knight. Anakin blinked, realizing he was supposed to respond, but couldn't form any words. 

"Um," he put eloquently, "I- I think you misunderstood the problem."

It was the Chancellor's turn to be left speechless.

"What?" It was so indignant and soft that Anakin was convinced the man didn't actually mean to say it out loud.

(I think we need some backstory, don't you? Unreliable narrator AKA Anakin Skywalker's thought process will take you through it.)

First order of business, Anakin wasn't married. 

In this timeline, the Force decided to have some fun, as she has had in other timelines before, during, and after this one. Time, after all, is a fluid and ever-present contingency. Time will always exist, an individual's interpretation of time is a construct and therefore unreliable in regards to alternate, parallel, and intersecting timelines.

So, Anakin Skywalker is not only very much not married, he is very much not into women. 

Anakin thought it was pretty obvious, but Anakin was also a himbo, so we can't really trust his judgement. He is extremely obtuse on the worst of days, and these past few weeks have been nothing but a constant string of bad days. The young Knight was getting a bit sick of it, to be honest. 

Anyway, back to the point. Anakin didn't have a wife because he wasn't married and wasn't into women. That caused major confusion for both parties.

Second point, Anakin Skywalker had a FAT crush on one Obi-Wan Kenobi. And, honestly, who wouldn't? That man was a DILF without children, a major plus. He was sarcastic, funny, charming, intelligent, and have you SEEN the way he sits? There is absolutely no way that a man sits like that unless he is a douchebag or he's packing, and Obi-Wan is most certainly not a douchebag. He was built, he-

Okay, we get the picture. Long story short, how could you not have a crush on him? Anakin didn't think he was to blame. 

It also didn't help that he had seen the man naked multiple times over the years, whether it was on missions, in the communal showers, or just around their quarters (though he had been more careful after Ahsoka came into the equation. He was comfortable in his nudity but he was in no ways a nudist.)