Angels

"Are you an angel?"

"What?"

"An angel. I've heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They live on the moons of Iego, I think. They're the most beautiful creatures in the universe."

"I assure you, I'm no angel."

"I think an angel would say that, wouldn't you think? To keep their identity safe. Don't worry, mister, your secret's safe with me."

How Obi-Wan managed to get himself in these situations, he has no idea. Some tribe on a jungle planet thinking his Master was their god and preparing a celebratory feast? Fine, he could work with that. Another tribe on the same planet trying to sacrifice him to his Master in the name of their god? Not ideal, but he could still improvise. Apparently, Qui-Gon claiming Obi-Wan was his son was the wrong move. Seriously, what god sends their son to a planet, only to be killed by the very people he's supposed to protect? Whatever. He's still alive and very much not sacrificed.

This, though? Torture. 

Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad, but it certainly was embarrassing. In all honesty, he thought the young handmaiden's youth and beauty (she was beautiful by any standard, it was undeniable) was going to cause problems. He never thought his own would. Yes, he knew he was fairly attractive, but he never considered himself beautiful. Certainly not enough to be confused for a Force-damned angel.

Everything would've (probably) gone back to normal, but Padme, the handmaiden, walked in to rant about his Master, and the little boy across the room's eyes widened. She barely got past his name when the child spoke again.

"Are you friends with the angel?"

Obi-Wan wanted to hide. Instead, he closed his eyes, breathed out slowly, and gave Padme a "don't ask" look.

"What?"

"I thought my secret was safe with you, little one," Obi-Wan said in amusement. Padme's confusion was very thick in the Force. The boy's eyes, somehow, got wider.

"I'm so sorry, mister! I didn't know-" Having enough experience in the creche (as punishments, but who really needs to know that?), he felt like he was about to have a crying child on his hands.

"I- uh, it's alright, little one, she already knew," he stumbled. Padme was staring at him, he could feel her gaze burning into the side of his face, but her amusement was slowly growing.

"I'm not that little! I have a name, too. It's Anakin," the boy said, seemingly alright.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, my name is Obi-Wan Kenobi," seeing this as a prime opportunity to leave, he did, "I must check in with Master Qui-Gon. Goodbye, Anakin."

"Bye, Mister Obi-Wan!" And with that, Obi-Wan left.

"Are you married to the angel?" Some laughter from Padme.

"No, I'm sure he isn't married to anyone."

"I'm gonna marry him someday."

Obi-Wan wishes he walked faster.

He didn't think he would ever see the small boy again, but of course, his Master had other plans.

"Something to remember me by," he said as he gave Obi-Wan the japor snippet. 

Now they were back at the Temple, Obi-Wan's Padawan braid cut, Anakin growing one of his own, and Obi-Wan couldn't bring himself to do anything other than put the snippet on a cord and tie it around his neck. He shouldn't be so inexplicably attached to the boy. He's a Jedi Knight now.