Stay

Attachments were forbidden. Everybody knew this. Obi-Wan Kenobi especially knew this.

(He was not in love.)

And yet, it was as if the Force itself had no care for the Jedi Code. It's the only explanation he had. The Force was a mysterious, well, force, and it seemed to enjoy pulling Obi-Wan wherever she wished.

The strongest pull was always to Anakin.

(He was not in love.)

Jedi were allowed to have sex. That wasn't the issue.

The issue was after each encounter, he found himself wanting.

(But rest assured, dear reader, he was not in love.)

It goes a little something like this.

A commlink chirps. Obi-Wan answers it.

"Hey, Master, whatcha doin' right now?" Anakin's voice flooded his ears, ringing playful and a bit mischievous. 

"Nothing at the moment, why?" he answered, and he could practically feel the younger man's smirk.

"I'm coming over," he says, and so it begins.

Anakin waltzes into Obi-Wan's quarters on the Vigilance like he owns the room, even the ship. Obi-Wan raises an eyebrow. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Anakin just gives him a sly smile and holds up the very unreasonably large bottle of Corellian whiskey. "We're going to get drunk, and I know you like this, so you can't argue with me."

Obi-Wan simply sighs and nods, resigned to his fate. "I suppose one drink couldn't hurt," he muses, knowing full well they won't be having just one drink.

"One more drink," Anakin supplies.

As the saying goes, one more drink leads to another.

Anakin is leaning into Obi-Wan now, sliding up into his personal space. The drinks have gotten to both of them, the unreasonably large bottle now nearly empty. The younger man's hands wander in and out of the older's robes, curiously and seemingly innocent.

"Dear one," Obi-Wan starts, "you don't have to get me drunk to enjoy your company."

Anakin just shrugs and smirks his little devious smirk (you know the one) and starts working to undo the other's robes.

Obi-Wan will sigh and move his hands away, Anakin will snicker and drag them to the bedroom, the door will shut, and all bets or pretenses are off.

Fast, passionate, nearly ripping the clothes from each other's bodies, hands roaming every plane, every crevice, and anything in between. 

Anakin always leaves in the morning with a gentle kiss.

Obi-Wan can't help but lay in bed a little longer, breathe in Anakin's scent a little longer, avoid reality a little longer.

The reality that their relationship is one deeply rooted in attachment. The reality that Anakin is married to a woman that just so happens to be a very close friend of Obi-Wan's. 

He feels dirty and cheap and dishonest.

(He goes back to Anakin every time, though.)

He tries not to think about how Padme, Anakin's wife, wouldn't discover the proof of their affair. He tries not to think about how there are certain faces that Anakin makes that they've both seen and others that one of them has seen and the other hasn't. 

He avoids the jealous flare that comes with that last thought.

(But no, he is most definitely not in love.)

It's all fine until the next time when Obi-Wan is the one to pick up the comm and call Anakin. 

It's a vicious cycle and Obi-Wan finds himself asking the Force what he did to deserve this fate, this utter doom. 

Why did he have to fall in love with Anakin Skywalker?

(That's blasphemous, he is not in love, don't you remember?)

Each and every time, he finds some part of himself deep down wishing the other would stay a little longer.