Twenty Nine: Feelings

Chapter Twenty Nine:  Feelings

“REINA!” Jaya said squealing as she ran into my office that morning.

“What is it!?” I asked her, staring at her with wide eyes.

“Oh my gosh, I have so much to tell you! How much time do you have!?”

“Enough, I would assume. It depends on how long you’re going to take.”

“Well here, sit down.” She said, pulling me down into my chair as she sat next to me in her own. “Okay, so you know how I initially thought the only reason my parents weren’t giving me hell about dating Armando was because they thought that I would just leave him when I lost interest and how we all know that isn’t true?”

I nodded, trying to keep up with her excited tone.

“Well, I took Armando to meet my parents this past weekend, and they loved him. Like downright loved him. I mean, of course my mom took me aside and told me how she was skeptical at first because he wasn’t Indian and it was hard to think that I would get along culturally with someone who knew nothing about my culture, but the bottom line was that there should be nothing that stops me from being happy and Armando makes me happy so I got the thumbs up from them.”

It took me a couple of seconds to process what she said, but when I did, I smiled and hugged Jaya. “I’m so happy for you Jay!” I said.

“And that’s not all, but Armando told me that over our next break, we would go to Italy to go meet his family. I’m so excited! Like, can you believe it! All of the beautiful Italian countryside and food—oh my god don’t get me started on food like Italian food is totally the best!”

I just kept nodding along to her fast, excited speech.

“But I think the bottom line is, I’m super happy because his mom told me that she really thought I was great for her son and she would love to meet me and all of this other stuff, and—ugh I’m just so happy Reina!” She squealed.

“I’m happy for you too Dr. Mohan, but I think it’s about time we all head to where we need to be, am I right?” An all too familiar voice said from the doorway. Reina and I both snapped our heads up to see Brad smirking in the doorway in his glory.

Oh, Brad.

To think, I almost didn’t see him for half a year. It was quite splendid, not having to deal with his “I’m-better-than-everyone” attitude. I should really start believing that all good things come to an end.

“Well, I’ll have you know Brad, that I have approximately ten minutes before I need to leave, so I think I’m fine in terms of time.” Jaya said, not rudely but with enough directness to get her point across.

“Oh, I’m sorry. What happened to the professional etiquette of showing up somewhere before the appointed time?”

“Look Brad, we’ve had a great time these past few months without having to hear all of your nonsense, so if you would please leave us alone, that would be great.”

He rolled his eyes at us, muttering something about incompetency before turning on his heal to leave.

And that was when he ran smack into Kat.

Don’t get me wrong here. Brad wasn’t an intentionally infuriating person. It was just in his personality to be rude, ignorant, and stupid. I mean, when Kat first told everyone she was pregnant, he basically was telling her to put herself and her child at risk by standing in radioactive range. Anytime anyone did anything, he was always there to correct it, tease it, or be just plain rude about it.