Fifteen: Where the Sun Stops Shining

Chapter Fifteen: Where the Sun Stops Shining
Rhode Island Hospital: Providence, Rhode Island

“OHEMGEE!” Jaya yelled as she began jumping around my office, which Kat had joined us in crowing in.

“Yup.” Kat said, perfectly beaming.

“I’m really happy for you.” I said to Kat, smiling while simultaneously yanking Jaya down to a chair.

“This is so exciting! I mean, your timing is horrible but—“

“I know my timing is horrible but I didn’t want to be thirty five by the time this rolled around!”

“That’s true! Oh gosh this is going to be awesome!” Jaya gushed.

Kat had brought us into my office during my break to tell us that she was pregnant, and just like any other form of good news, Jaya continually gushed.

I just smiled. Was that too unenthusiastic?

“Yeah, well I still have to talk to the boss.”

“Good luck with that, I said as I squeezed her arm.”

“Well since we’re all sharing secrets here—“ Jaya said, as Kat’s eyes widened. “I have to say that I’ve been with Armando for a while now.”

“I KNEW IT!” Kat yelled, signifying that it was her turn to jump around like a little kid on three spoons of sugar.

“Guys! We’re in a hospital!” I cautioned.

“Oh… right.” They both said simultaneously.

Jaya continued to fill Kat in on the details I had already heard previously, I let my mind wander off to the happenings of last night.

I wasn’t exactly too sure how I ended up falling asleep twice the night before, but I felt like I needed to thank Neal again… it just didn’t seem right.

“Reina!”

I jumped. “Huh?”

“We’ve been asking you something for the past three minutes! Kat exclaimed.

“I’m sorry… what?”

“Has anything happened between you and… unless that was exactly what you were thinking about?” Jaya hinted.

“Guys.” I sighed. “For the last time, nothing has or will happen between us. We just work together.”

“Oh.” They said, simultaneously.

I had a feeling they weren’t going to let it go either way.

________

“Hey… can I come in?” I asked. I wasn’t scheduled to work with Neal today but I had found the time to run by.

“Yeah, why not.” He said, chirpy as ever.

“I just wanted to thank you—for uh… taking me home last night.”

“Oh… uh it’s totally fine. Why don’t you sit down?’

“No I just came by to—“

“I have a file for you.” He said, smiling.

I smiled and sat down across from him, analyzing the file. Suddenly, my stomach tied itself into knots.

“Dr., whose file is this?”

“The name is right there.” Neal said, suddenly just as serious as I was.

“I realize that. But whose file is this?”