Nine: Partners In Crime

Chapter Nine: Partners in Crime 
Rhode Island Hospital: Providence, Rhode Island

Ever since I stepped on the scale last night, I spent the remainder of the evening sorting through my closet and throwing out anything that was larger than a size four. Basically, half my closet was gone.

Oh, and the Ben and Jerry’s didn’t help either. I took one bit and threw it away, settling on a PBJ instead.

I woke up the next morning much more conscious about my appearance.

Were those seriously bags under my eyes after the minute break I just experienced? And was my hair really that flat? What happened to the mane of voluminous ringlets I had?

I seriously needed to call Travis.

But for now, I settled with loose khakis and my white tennies.

Oh, and I actually packed a lunch today. I would just eat in my office.

Arriving at work, I started walking to the ortho department by habit, then realized that I would get to go talk to Neal until 11:30. We had a lunch meeting.

So much for eating alone.

___________

“Hey.”

I had literally just sat down when I heard Neal talk.

“Oh hey!” I was a bit off guard. “It’s only 11:00… Am I missing something?”

“Yeah, they moved lunch up half an hour. Apparently there’s a really important surgery at 12:30. I received notice yesterday before I left at 10:00, but I realized that I didn’t have your number… and Jaya and Kat were gone.”

“Oh.” I thought about it, and picked up my phone gently biting my bottom lip. I unlocked it and looked back at Neal before tossing it to him. “Put your number in. For future reference.”

He smiled and nodded before proceeding, and I wonder what he would put himself under in my phone. I walked to the door, and Neal handed me my phone back before walking out. I followed him out, staying behind him while I checked what his contact information was under. It wasn’t under ‘D’ or ‘S’.

It was under ‘Neal’.

I felt a smile tug at my lips and I have no idea why.   

_______

“So we have all of you here because we’ve completed major department surgeries. Now, usually we have help from a senior radiologist, but Dr. Reddy recommended Miss Cruz over here. At first I was a bit doubtful, but let me tell you her reports are amazing.” Dr. Trevors was giving a boring speech about surgeries and etc.

I suddenly felt Neal ever so slightly nudge me with his shoulder. It was like he didn’t even move in his chair. I looked up from my casserole (yes, the famous Cruz casserole) and acknowledged the room full of people staring at me and gave a weak smile. That’s when I saw my phone’s screen brighten.

Neal: The guy on the left, Dr. Pollard, has the hugest crush on you.

I almost choked on my water and looked at where Neal was slyly looking at the moment. This guy with curly blonde hair and what I have deemed “mad scientist glasses” at the age of seven was dead staring at me, not noticing that his fork wasn’t poking his plate but the table.

Boy was he getting some weird looks from Marge.

Reina: Yuck. Besides, looks like Marge doesn’t approve.

I smiled as Neal smiled, staring at his lap like a little kid that just got into trouble.

Neal: Feeling overpowered by Marge?