Prologue: For Laughs and Giggles

Mount Abraham in Franklin County, Maine

*****

Mount Abraham— it was beautiful, but cold. God, why was it so cold!?

Oh right, I agreed to go mountain trekking in the middle of November in Maine.

Good going Reina.

You see, I’m not quite like everyone else. I’m not social, athletic, or normal to begin with. I was always very studious when I was growing up, and hardly had any real friends. Yeah, I got really used to that—too used to it.

So here I am, my first year into medical school, collecting bacteria samples amidst the snow during Thanksgiving break, and trying to have “fun” with my classmates and other residents—all productions of the Warren Alpert Medical School, the medical school of Brown University. I don’t mean to brag, but I worked off my butt to get to the intellectual level I’m at today.

Maybe that’s why I don’t have a butt.

Stop Reina.  

I realized that in my ramble, I had let the group at least 50 yards in front of me. I saw my acquaintance Katrina’s blond ponytail sway as she climbed up the incline. With the little athletic ability I possessed, I ran up the incline to catch up with the group—my calves storing up on lactic acid. Okay, I’ll stop now.

“It’s about time there, Rei!” Katrina giggled. “I was afraid we would have to send someone down there to get you! What are you thinking about anyways?”

“Oh, nothing much Katrina… I just got caught up in it all I guess.”

“Stop it Rei. You know very well that you were eyeing someone. Who was it—the tall blonde guy Mark? No, no, no! It’s the guy with the dark brown hair and matching eyes, Neal I think. He’s too tall for you don’t ‘cha think?”

This was another thing about me. I had zilch ability to communicate with cute members of the male species. Yes, species.

“I’m serious Katrina, I was just letting my mind wander, and certainly not about the opposite sex.”

“Fine Rei, whatever you say. I was trying to get you to loosen up there! Think about it, 23 years of constant studying. You’re in medical school now, explore a bit.”

I also mentally noted that while Katrina was fit and enjoying this scenic walk, I couldn’t talk fluently due to the interruption of my heavy breathing. “I would explore a bit Katrina, but I mean it’s not me. I’m the short chubby girl in med school with glasses and the socialization skills of a mouse.”

“But mice don’t socialize Rei.” Katrina looked confused.

“My point exactly. This isn’t Despereaux where I’ll find a prince willing to love a mouse. A chubby mouse at that.”

“Stop it. You’re cute!” Katrina practically shouted. I felt the gazes of a couple of people, and could feel my face heat up despite the freezing weather.  

And that my friends, is all I’ll ever be. Cute and chubby.

I always seemed to associate with the wrong people. Everyone here seems to be so tall, pale, and into the outdoors, while I’m short, cubby, have olive skin and have crazy curly black hair and green eyes and absolutely despite the outdoors. Then again, everyone might be tall because I’m only 5’3”. Go figure.

You see, my French parents settled in Rhode Island ages before I was born. I grew up in Rhode Island, and still live there. I couldn’t imagine my life anywhere else. So even though I constantly felt out of place, this was the only home I knew.